PDA

View Full Version : Use of dechloraminator products

gr81
23rd Feb 2006, 04:06 PM
As I have no problems with tap water (NO3 +-10mg.), but I want try to use some dechloraminators to be sure to eliminate metals ionts (mainly Cu, if there is some). I used Tetra AquaSafe. But when I put it in tap watter it smells like B vitamins. (it contains them). Will this smell disappear (it's more than 12h)of will whole aqua smell like chemistry?

What do you mean of using this type of chemistry? can it be useful? Or is better let tap watter "stay" in canisters some time and then use It as is?

Mischy
25th Feb 2006, 05:26 PM
Hello,

I don't use such products in my shrimp-tanks! I don't use any chemistry for the 'shrimp-water' because the risk is too high to poison the shrimps. And I never made some bad experences... :)
If you want to use some AquaSafe you should take half of the dosation, of what they tell you to use because this should be enough.

greeteings Michael

Robert
25th Feb 2006, 09:08 PM
Hi,
here in Germany the tap water is quit good. Because of the lower water temperature in comparison to subtropical or tropical regions there are much less Bacteria etc. . This means there is no need for chlorine or chloramine. Some cities use ultra violet light to threat their water which is also harmless for us and our shrimps, snails, fishes etc. .

In Germany the tap water is the best controlled "food" you can find. You can drink it everywhere and there is no need to add any chemicals. Only old copper or lead pipes can be a problem. You can ask your local water suppliers for the exact water parameters and you can still decide if a dechlorinator is necessary. I hope you can do the same in Czech Republic.

regards
Robert

esarkipato
27th Feb 2006, 10:28 PM
I use Seachem's Prime because my water has LOTS of chlorine/chloramine. It smells a little like sulphur when I open the bottle, but the tank never smells after dosage. Shrimps love it because it doesn remove heavy metals. I would definitely recommend it!

gr81
27th Feb 2006, 10:49 PM
I use Seachem's Prime because my water has LOTS of chlorine/chloramine. It smells a little like sulphur when I open the bottle, but the tank never smells after dosage. Shrimps love it because it doesn remove heavy metals. I would definitely recommend it!
Does or does not it remove heavy metals? :) If not, what is good on it?

esarkipato
28th Feb 2006, 01:59 AM
removes heavy metals, chlorine/chloramine, "detoxifies" nitrates/nitrites among other things. Also it is very potent so each dose is quite small. Basically 1 mL per 10 gallons treated water!

I tried to post the website but can't yet. is just seachem dot you know what.

gr81
28th Feb 2006, 02:49 PM
OK, I tried use of Tetra AquaSafe. I don't know if is it good sign, but shrimps (CRS) walked to place where I put in new watter. with 1day old tap water they swim away.
So will see, if they like it or :cry:

azn_fishy55
5th Mar 2006, 02:33 PM
I don't like using Prime as it detoxifies nitrate which I use to fertilizer my plants.But other that Prime is a pretty good dechlor.