PDA

View Full Version : My Yellow Fire Shrimp

imke_j
26th Dec 2011, 07:19 PM
I have taken some photos of my Yellow Fire shrimp.

I have one mutated female among them, which I call the 'hunchback shrimp', as it shows obviously deformed body shape and some kind of balloon head. Besides the deformation, it has also orange color like a coating on the exoskeleton - so, looks like that new colors sometimes emerge combined with unwanted elements. I suggest there is an interdependence between this mutation and a soil I have used - however, I cannot prove it and will not name the gravel.

The hunchback:

blahdeblah
27th Dec 2011, 02:19 AM
Nice yellows you have there, thanks for showing. I've recently aquired some and they are already my favourites - the colours are just so vivid!

hibi
31st Dec 2011, 10:24 PM
nice yellows.. the hunch back seems to look like an orange :)

magpie
31st Dec 2011, 11:10 PM
Nice shrimps. Is the hunch back shrimp an issue or concern?

imke_j
1st Jan 2012, 09:46 PM
Hunchback shrimp IMO are crippled shrimp, with unhealthy gens. You see this most often in caridina strains (Red Bee, Snow White or Blue Bolt shrimp), coming most always with shortened and rolled-up antennae. Besides, shrimp that have been breeding in line for a couple of generations show perfect colors, but sometimes the body seems kind of inflexible among the thick exterior skin. The body shape is more like a shortened bow, where the back of the shrimp (tail) goes down and cannot so easily moved.

Nubster
11th Jan 2012, 10:21 PM
Still, very nice looking shrimp. I have a few yellows and I am in the process of setting up a tank for them. Right now they are living in a breeder box inside my RCS tank.