PDA

View Full Version : Red, black and white of CRS and Diamond Shrimps

cwtan12
27th Jan 2006, 12:43 PM
I have some newbie question to ask

1. what caused black or red that differentiate a diamond and a CRS?
2. how do the colours structure itself?
3. Is the 'special feature' traits like whitetail, hinomaru, no entry sign dominant, recessive, double recessive, etc?
4. What is the average generation can CRS be inbred before thowing or deformed or runts? I mean strictly brothers and sisters only and no outcrossing involved.

retardo
29th Jan 2006, 06:33 AM
CW-

These are very loaded questions....

The basic gist of the answers is simply this: selective breeding. This is my understanding: CRS are selectively bred offspring of wild Bee shrimp (some call this a diamond). Traits of CRS with white tails, hinomaru, etc. are usually recessive traits. These traits will only appear if two shrimp, a male and a female, carry the recessive genes, and then are subsequently selectively bred such that it becomes a dominant trait.

Inbreeding should not be continued for more than 4 or 5 generations, or congenital deformities will begin to exhibit itself. Possibly even less.... HTH.

I'd suggest running a search also, as it will answer more questions. If you haven't already, read this highly informative thread: http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230

-r

cwtan12
30th Jan 2006, 02:36 AM
CW-

These are very loaded questions....

The basic gist of the answers is simply this: selective breeding. This is my understanding: CRS are selectively bred offspring of wild Bee shrimp (some call this a diamond). Traits of CRS with white tails, hinomaru, etc. are usually recessive traits. These traits will only appear if two shrimp, a male and a female, carry the recessive genes, and then are subsequently selectively bred such that it becomes a dominant trait.

Inbreeding should not be continued for more than 4 or 5 generations, or congenital deformities will begin to exhibit itself. Possibly even less.... HTH.

-r

Thanks for your answer but what I meant in my question is about the colours, whether the black, red and white are layered. If the colours are layered, which is the fist, 2nd and 3rd and whether there are any other colours besides these.

From the pictures I have seen on the net, i noticed that some Diamond are blacker. So are those lighter coloured has black with another thin layer of red on above it?