PDA

View Full Version : Cabomba in my tank

Maggie53
17th Sep 2011, 11:29 PM
Hi all. I have a small (40ltr) tank with 5 crs, and approx 20 adult and juvvie rcs, and 3 blackberries. I was wondering if besides the mossballs, if some fast growing cabomba would be ok in there. Also can anyone recommend a good small floating plant. Thanks in advance.

Tanman19az
21st Sep 2011, 04:00 PM
Cabomba is a very hardy plant and should do well in your tank. As for a floating plant, guppy grass is a good floating plant that the shrimps would love.

wicca
15th Nov 2011, 11:19 AM
try hornwort for a floater. i have no luck with cabomba

logi-cat
27th Nov 2011, 08:52 PM
cabomba will grow in any condition

kunihiko
27th Nov 2011, 09:47 PM
Do cabomba help with nitrate absorpsion?

TarantulaGuy
28th Nov 2011, 04:06 AM
All plants help with nitrate absorption, but yes, cabomba will! The faster they grow the faster they take up nutrients, cabomba is a fast grower! Duckweed is a fantastic floating plant as well, if you don't mind scooping out a net-full or 3 every week or 2. My shrimp love the duckweed in their tank, and it helps keep the water clean.

kunihiko
28th Nov 2011, 07:41 AM
thanks for the input!

i just bought some for my tank yesterday.

compared to hornwart, hornwart looks much more elegant i think...

the lfs cabomba all looks curled up... wonder if they will striaghten up in my tank... lol

FishFan85
12th Dec 2011, 08:16 AM
Do cabomba help with nitrate absorpsion?

I believe it does, it absorbs a lot of nutrients with it's leaves. It's a very quick grower , you'll have to trim it.
If you can, I suggest trimming it from below, topping can sometimes get it to go brown.
The shrimp love to use it as an appartment:).

I could also recommend Lymnophila Heterophylla that makes a good contrast with the darker green Cabomba.
Also the Pistia Stratoites makes a good floating plant, make sure it doesn't grow out of proportion, that could take away essential light for your other plants.

Goodluck,

Joey

kunihiko
12th Dec 2011, 08:24 AM
thanks for the answer!

i currently just let my cabomba float in the tank. shrimps seem to go there sometimes

FishFan85
12th Dec 2011, 08:28 AM
You're welcome!
I've seen some shrimp surfing on floating plants, very funny sight!

wicca
12th Dec 2011, 12:06 PM
i never seem to do well with it

kunihiko
12th Dec 2011, 12:39 PM
hi wicca,
u meant ur shrimps with cabomba, or cabomba in tank never do well?

ShrimpUK
9th Jan 2012, 08:20 PM
Grows too quickly for me, so about to strip it out of the Shrimp Cube. I only had two small bunches from the LFS and just keep trimming and re-planting in groups in the four foot.