PDA

View Full Version : Did i plant my hc correctly?

TreeFiddy
17th Sep 2011, 10:25 PM
i just planted a batch of hc, and im suspecting that i planted it wrongly. some of the roots are not making contact with my substrate, and it looks like it will float any minute. can someone tell me whether did i plant it correctly? :undecided:undecided

qpixo
18th Sep 2011, 04:06 AM
i just planted a batch of hc, and im suspecting that i planted it wrongly. some of the roots are not making contact with my substrate, and it looks like it will float any minute. can someone tell me whether did i plant it correctly? :undecided:undecided

Make sure all HC roots should contact your substrate (soil) otherwise they will turn to yellow and will die eventually.

aussieant32
18th Sep 2011, 08:03 AM
clumps look too big in my opinion. Really each one should be planted strand by strand

okitoki
19th Sep 2011, 11:20 AM
easiest to use a pair of fine tip tweezers, grab a small bunch, put it in to the substrate, wiggle a little and pull out... this should plant your HC a little deeper with just a leaf or two sticking out from the substrate. spread it out evenly and it will fill in gradually... works better than letting it clumb like that...

TreeFiddy
19th Sep 2011, 06:08 PM
after a few incidents of uprooting.. i seperated the bunches in the front and planted individual stems. i hope this stops the uprooting and allows the roots to grab on to the substrate faster

madlan
19th Sep 2011, 08:30 PM
Looks like you have a leak lol

aussieant32
19th Sep 2011, 08:41 PM
to me i think that your substrate is too shallow as well.

TreeFiddy
19th Sep 2011, 08:51 PM
Looks like you have a leak lol

its just water that overflowed when i put my hand into the tank :D

to me i think that your substrate is too shallow as well.

nevertheless, i still shall attempt to grow it. will be looking to get some liquid fertilizers soon. i read that copper is harmful to shrimps, is that true? i saw some ferts containing copper and i did not want to risk the lives of my shrimp

madlan
19th Sep 2011, 09:19 PM
Copper is extremely toxic to shrimp yes - although I've used plant fertilisers that contain it (in small quantities) with no issue. Definitely worth checking.

TreeFiddy
19th Sep 2011, 09:31 PM
the brand of black water extract that i am using also has a liquid fertilizer product, but it contains 0.001% copper. wouldn't want to risk my shrimps and shrimplets dying especially since my tank is so small

qpixo
19th Sep 2011, 09:34 PM
easiest to use a pair of fine tip tweezers, grab a small bunch, put it in to the substrate, wiggle a little and pull out... this should plant your HC a little deeper with just a leaf or two sticking out from the substrate. spread it out evenly and it will fill in gradually... works better than letting it clumb like that...

there u go :)

qpixo
19th Sep 2011, 09:36 PM
the brand of black water extract that i am using also has a liquid fertilizer product, but it contains 0.001% copper. wouldn't want to risk my shrimps and shrimplets dying especially since my tank is so small

What kind of substrate, I would say soil are u using?

ADA aquasoil amazonia? Netlea?

TreeFiddy
19th Sep 2011, 09:43 PM
there u go :)

i couldn't find any tweezers, ended up using a pair of unreliable chopsticks and my hands :embarasse

What kind of substrate, I would say soil are u using?

ADA aquasoil amazonia? Netlea?

i can't remember it, but it had a 'for shrimp' label on it. i'll check it tomorrow and see some of the ferts avaliable there also

qpixo
19th Sep 2011, 10:04 PM
i couldn't find any tweezers, ended up using a pair of unreliable chopsticks and my hands :embarasse

i can't remember it, but it had a 'for shrimp' label on it. i'll check it tomorrow and see some of the ferts avaliable there also

Hey Mr. Miyagi, Daniel Sam will come to rescue lol!

What??
You are living in Singapore, one of aquascaping plants and fish Asian land guru and you can NOT find any tweezers? :)
I'm pretty sure if you go any aquashop ADA you will find one. Where I currently live aqua equipment sucks

TreeFiddy
19th Sep 2011, 10:13 PM
Hey Mr. Miyagi, Daniel Sam will come to rescue lol!

What??
You are living in Singapore, one of aquascaping plants and fish Asian land guru and you can NOT find any tweezers? :)
I'm pretty sure if you go any aquashop ADA you will find one. Where I currently live aqua equipment sucks

i can't find any tweezers in my house haha!
i just started fish/shrimp keeping this year, and the places i know for fish and equipments can be counted with 1 hand :x

aussieant32
20th Sep 2011, 06:07 AM
look online, if its anywhere like here the stores are way over priced. Compared to online for aquascaping tools they have about an 80% mark up.

okitoki
20th Sep 2011, 11:08 AM
haha... I can think of some girly cosmedic shops that sells the tweezers for plucking eye brows or nose hair can also be used :D

just make sure they are clean and dont have any dried crusty "stuff" left on it from previous usage :D

aussieant32
20th Sep 2011, 02:24 PM
they are not really ideal as you should be looking to plant the roots on a pretty steep angle, the problem with smaller tweezers is that you cant do this without your fingers disrupting the soil.

the longer the better

okitoki
20th Sep 2011, 03:00 PM
I agree using these tweesers are not ideal, but if the OP needs something urgent to get things done, then it becomes a case of you use what you can get your hands on to get the job done. :)

(Still better than trying to use fingers to plant it individually)

eg of what I was suggesting

http://www.aimdistributor.com/bnw/images/needlenose-overview.png
http://www.mosaicsmalti.com/store/images/fullsize/img_0788.jpg
http://www.photonage.com.au/images/images/prod/T/T2375.gif

TreeFiddy
20th Sep 2011, 07:13 PM
i used a combination of finger, chopsticks and even a paintbrush :x well it works!

qpixo
20th Sep 2011, 08:10 PM
i can't find any tweezers in my house haha!
i just started fish/shrimp keeping this year, and the places i know for fish and equipments can be counted with 1 hand :x

I believe there are MANY aqua shop in your local area. Don't buy crap equipment buy the REAL ADA equipment. Because Buy cheap buy twice LOL!

TreeFiddy
20th Sep 2011, 09:17 PM
I believe there are MANY aqua shop in your local area. Don't buy crap equipment buy the REAL ADA equipment. Because Buy cheap buy twice LOL!

that's a nice phrase lol

argh! some of my moss is turning brown. lack of ferts prehaps? :undecided

marimo
21st Sep 2011, 12:31 PM
is the HC also call dwarf Baby tears ?
I am also considering to plant it in my low tec nano tank, i worry that it needs alot of light and co2 and good substrate fertilizer to spread across

I am using reiki Magic soil and 11W light for 4 hours a night and BW mineral rock (says aid in photosynthesis)
Do you think i can consider them in my tank?

Tanman19az
21st Sep 2011, 03:34 PM
Yep, it's dwarf baby tears! HC is an abbreviation of its latin name (species)

qpixo
21st Sep 2011, 08:25 PM
is the HC also call dwarf Baby tears ?
I am also considering to plant it in my low tec nano tank, i worry that it needs alot of light and co2 and good substrate fertilizer to spread across

I am using reiki Magic soil and 11W light for 4 hours a night and BW mineral rock (says aid in photosynthesis)
Do you think i can consider them in my tank?

HC won't grow as well and as dense carpet in a low tech tank with 11W, they will turn to yellowish covering with algae

TreeFiddy
25th Sep 2011, 08:31 PM
hc kept uprooting.. gave up with the plan. considering using moss as a carpet instead

Aquacube
4th Oct 2011, 09:19 PM
hc kept uprooting.. gave up with the plan. considering using moss as a carpet instead

Too bad because it is a beautiful carpet plant. Your plant was ok like that, if the water parameter are good and you use fertilizer and Co2, it spread really fast!

kelvinlim11
7th Oct 2011, 01:34 PM

Actually i feel for HC, the dry start method is easier. First it is easier to plant and faster to grow. But i failed myself 3 times. So i gave up.

okitoki
7th Oct 2011, 01:41 PM
there are alot of people who does the dry start method,... But if you dont have the right water condition when you fill it out, the HC would just pretty much melt away within the first few weeks before the adjust themselves to the new condition.

imi_sky
7th Oct 2011, 01:46 PM
heres an old scape I did on my ADA-90P. The HC was grown under water and i only had about 6cm x 6cm worth at the start. Planted it strand by strand and it covered like this after about 2 months.

I have planted HC the same way as you, though it eventually fills out it creates pocks of more dense HC which always tends to uproot first. Whenever I use I do strand by strand now and you'll find that if it likes the condition its in, it quickly sends out shoots from the sides

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/imisky/P1060609.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/imisky/P1060607.jpg

Soothing Shrimp
7th Oct 2011, 11:18 PM
VERY nice carpet!

qpixo
8th Oct 2011, 12:22 AM
heres an old scape I did on my ADA-90P. The HC was grown under water and i only had about 6cm x 6cm worth at the start. Planted it strand by strand and it covered like this after about 2 months.

I have planted HC the same way as you, though it eventually fills out it creates pocks of more dense HC which always tends to uproot first. Whenever I use I do strand by strand now and you'll find that if it likes the condition its in, it quickly sends out shoots from the sides

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/imisky/P1060609.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/imisky/P1060607.jpg

Very nice HC carpet!! I love it!

However the rocks have same height and it shows a lack of depth. Besides they don't really fit well for the size of tank either, noticed the tank height.
You need bigger rocks combining with small ones, vertical rocks should fit best to illustrate this 'Iwagumi' style.

What happened to this tank? Did you change the new scape??

TreeFiddy
8th Oct 2011, 07:32 PM
i left the tank as it is.. i bought a new tank recently and spent all my time on it. i planted a single strand of hc in the new tank though. who knows, maybe the single strand may grow :joking:

logi-cat
11th Oct 2011, 11:53 PM
The HC carpet looks amazing. Can't believe it only took two months to fill in.

imi_sky
13th Oct 2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the compliment guys, the tank was not taken down, its been converted to my 90-P ADA shrimp tank.

Very nice HC carpet!! I love it!

However the rocks have same height and it shows a lack of depth. Besides they don't really fit well for the size of tank either, noticed the tank height.
You need bigger rocks combining with small ones, vertical rocks should fit best to illustrate this 'Iwagumi' style.

What happened to this tank? Did you change the new scape??

One could argue that its in eye of the beholder whether a scape is good or bad. But I agree with you in this case. The rocks used in this case has been the same rocks I've used since the beginning of the 90-P and never bothered to get new ones. Yes its low, but to me there's a certain aesthetics to this scape as well. Of course the rocks wasnt the only problem with the scape, the lack of background plant and others really made this tank look like a baldy. The main purpose for that tank at the start of the carpet task was to see how fast it would take to grow HC also as a way to supply the local market at the time of HC as there wasnt much at the time when i had that:) For that particular scape I was in no need to create something that was worthy of winning any aquascaping contest or trying to, simply creating something that grew lots of HC and has SOME interest other than a flat floor of plant which looks quite boring haha

rocky68pl
27th Oct 2011, 04:44 AM
[QUOTE=TreeFiddy;70916]i just planted a batch of hc, and im suspecting that i planted it wrongly. some of the roots are not making contact with my substrate, and it looks like it will float any minute. can someone tell me whether did i plant it correctly? :undecided:undecided

It doesn't matter if you have:
-soil 3cm or deeper
-enough light
-CO2 suplly
Good trick is to cover clump with a piece of broken glass for week or two.

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1496/img9826f.jpg