PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Singapore Wood shrimps

diki
23rd Jan 2006, 02:28 PM
I would like to get 2 soon. But since they are only catch stuff using their "fans", not sure if they will starve if I keep them with cherry shrimps in my tank setup. Anyone can advise?

Tank setup:
1 ft cube tank
Atman HOF + sponge filter
Bogwood with Singapore moss + 2 x driftwood with Java moss
Lapis sand

GunmetalBlue
26th Jan 2006, 02:37 PM
Hi Diki, actually wood shrimp and other shrimp like the Cherry don't really compete directly with each other. The Cherries pick algae off plants and gravel and also eat wafers, etc. However, the wood shrimp will spend most of their time filtering the water and can also be fed finely crushed commercial food swirled into the water.

The problem I see though with the set up you describe might be the size and type of tank - is it by any chance the same one as in your other thread called "My 1 ft cube shrimp tank setup?" The tank, I think, may be a little too small and too crowded, especially if you'll already have 45 pieces of shrimp in there. Also, wood shrimp appreciate a fairly good current in the tank because of the way they filter feed.

-GB

acbaldwin
29th Jan 2006, 01:35 PM
I agree with Gunmetal blue, especially considering the size of the tank in question. On a side note, I've noticed that my singapore shrimp run their fans along objects in the tank, the substrate, the plants, rocks, and anything else if there are not many particles in suspended in the water. This is most definitely the case in my big tank, where the water is crystal clear. :D :rolleyes:

terryschild
29th Jan 2006, 05:54 PM
Hello Diki,

GunmetalBlue has a point. I too keep Wood /Singapore shrimp together with my smaller shrimp and since the strong current is only towards the surface of the water In my case, the circulation may not be enough for the wood shrimps to catch food. In larger tanks they stay near the filter outlet to try to catch food but in tanks with lower circulation this may pose as a problem. I usualy drop a little amount of spirulina mixed with water into the tank before turning off the lights. Most of the time the Wood shrimps would climb the driftwood and attempt to feed on the particles of food. ( Wood shrimps are mostly nocturnal in my case and they usually hide in the day). I often find one or two of them atop a water plant close to the surface where the water is returned to the tank in the form of a rain/spray bar. This is the place where i feed them. I insert a pipette with spirulina mixture below the water and slowly release the food.

Like what acbaldwin stated earlier, I too have seen my shrimp upon occasion using their fans to gather up particles of food from the gravel of surfaces of plants. Do not worry too much that your shrimp may be starving. They would most certainly find a way to feed.

I guess my advice is to provide your wood shrimp with sufficient water circulation so they could catch their food as they would in the wild.

Good Luck!
Terry

cwtan12
30th Jan 2006, 02:38 AM
Has anyone successfully bred wood shrimp?

diki
30th Jan 2006, 05:28 PM
Hi Diki, actually wood shrimp and other shrimp like the Cherry don't really compete directly with each other. The Cherries pick algae off plants and gravel and also eat wafers, etc. However, the wood shrimp will spend most of their time filtering the water and can also be fed finely crushed commercial food swirled into the water.

The problem I see though with the set up you describe might be the size and type of tank - is it by any chance the same one as in your other thread called "My 1 ft cube shrimp tank setup?" The tank, I think, may be a little too small and too crowded, especially if you'll already have 45 pieces of shrimp in there. Also, wood shrimp appreciate a fairly good current in the tank because of the way they filter feed.

-GB

Hi GunmetalBlue, u are right. That is my tank now. I have a HOF which does provide some current at a corner but not else where. Hmm... overcrowded already, u mentioned. Well since like that, I would forget about keeping them for now since I do agree that they might not be suitable in this tank.

Thanks terryschild and acbaldwin, thanks for your advise as well. Greatly appreciated. Will shelf keep wood shrimps for now.