PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Shrimp All Dying

Audrina
5th Sep 2011, 12:28 AM
Hey everyone.

I have a tank that has cycled for 6 weeks, all levels are 0, my pH is 6 ... yesterday I added 7 tiger shrimp to the tank, four have died.

I saw one swimming around before so I know that one is ok but I don't know if it'll stay that way. ALL the shrimp when I have found them dead are really red around the head area and I have no idea what is going on. Any help?

Kazuya
5th Sep 2011, 02:49 AM
Are your Gh and Kh levels at 0?

Audrina
5th Sep 2011, 02:59 AM
According to my test kit my gH indicates 10 dh and my kH is 0.
From what I learned and I don't know if this is different for tiger shrimp, 6-(some other number I can't remember right now that's higher than ten lol) is the ideal range for freshwater aquariums.

Audrina
5th Sep 2011, 08:25 AM
Anyone? I just had another one die, I have one left and a package of Orange Eye Blue Tigers on their way.

GeToChKn
5th Sep 2011, 10:55 AM
How is your pH 6? Active soil? CO2? Do you have any other shrimp in the tank to see if its the shrimp or the tank? Did you just put them in or do a slow drip with them? If they came from water, say at 7.4 and your tank is 6, I would think you need a really long drip to give them time to adjust to the low pH. Too short can be a shock.

Audrina
5th Sep 2011, 12:49 PM
At this point, they have all died so I'm trying to raise my pH before the Orange Eye Blue tigers come. I'm not sure how my pH is so low, I dose with Eexcel but I think I'm going to stop in this tank. Just today I did a 50% water change, only adjusted the pH from my tap water once (it comes out at like 8+) and the pH is still so low.

I did slow drip them but within 24 hours they have all died. They were active when they were added into the tank and died over hours. All that's in the tank are plants, driftwood, Flourish Black (is that who makes it?) that's it.

Also, my unkillable amano? Dead. I was just watching the tank and it folded in half and died. No clue what's going on.

hibi
5th Sep 2011, 09:16 PM
Excel, does it have copper?

Audrina
6th Sep 2011, 12:04 AM
No, Excel is a liquid CO2 which I'm going to stop using in that tank. Since it's totally empty now I did a 50% water change and got my pH up to 6.6. I'm going to do another one and another one until it gets into the 7.7 range which is the range where the Orange Eyes are coming from.

Since this tank is used, I emailed the original owner who has never used any kind of medication in the tank so I know it's not a copper issue. I'm going to get another amano today and see how it does. Any other ideas guys? I really don't want my shrimp to die.

GeToChKn
6th Sep 2011, 12:09 AM
Sounds like it was the Excel. Lots of people have had issues with it and shrimp. I use like less than half a dose a few times a week just to give the plants in the tanks a little something something but but nowhere near a full dose, or every other day or anything. Sounds like that could have been it. And its not really liquid co2, its a chemical though that the plants can use instead of co2.

Audrina
6th Sep 2011, 12:24 AM
Yes I'm aware it's not actually liquid co2, but I have blyxa in the tank and it'll die without it. I've been using minimal doses every other day but I'm going to stop dosing all together and move the blyxa. Hopefully that'll help.

I don't know how the Excel killed the amano though which is what really puzzles me, I have amanos in other tanks with it and they do just fine.

leonben
6th Sep 2011, 12:43 AM
gh is too high.. ideagh is 4-6

Audrina
6th Sep 2011, 12:58 AM
On www.shrimpkeeping.com it says 6-10 so mine would be in range. Should I just try maybe topping off with softer water to lower it a bit?
It also says that kh should be between 4 - 8 and mine is 0. Could that be a problem?

Fento
6th Sep 2011, 02:04 AM
Kh may role a play at pH variations, but if your pH is stable IMHO I think Kh is fine. Try to high your pH at 7 , these shrimps prefer less acidic one. About deaths... maybe excell was the cause, may be not. Did you acclimate properly? have you noticed any extrange look or behaviour on shrimps?
I hope you can solve it soon.

Audrina
6th Sep 2011, 06:42 AM
Kh may role a play at pH variations, but if your pH is stable IMHO I think Kh is fine. Try to high your pH at 7 , these shrimps prefer less acidic one. About deaths... maybe excell was the cause, may be not. Did you acclimate properly? have you noticed any extrange look or behaviour on shrimps?
I hope you can solve it soon.

My pH is totally stable, the only reason I'm raising it now is because I'm doing water changes to do so. I'm going to try to get my pH to 7.5 right now.
Going to stop dosing with Excel, and I'm not sure they were totally acclimated properly to be honest I tried for several hours but when I went over there they had all climbed into the tank. Any suggestions on how to acclimate the juvie OEBT?

Also the guy at the LFS made what I feel is an important observation. All my shrimp are dying at night so maybe they are suffocating. Seeing the protein in their heads could be a sign of this, so I'm adding an airstone.

I bought several amanos today and I'm going to see if any of them die as my amano in there did die. I'm certainly keep this thread updated because I am determined to keep tiger shrimp and hopefully it'll help more people in the future.

Audrina
6th Sep 2011, 07:42 AM
Alright, got my pH up to 7.5 - 7.6. My OEBT are coming from a tank that's at 7.7
Exactly how should I acclimate them?

(Also, 4 amanos added, so we'll see if they make it)

Audrina
6th Sep 2011, 01:21 PM
Surprisingly I just found one surviving tiger. Hopefully it survives the pH fluctuations of today.

avex30
6th Sep 2011, 03:22 PM
how is the temp for your tank?

I have currently reset up my 2ft tank for xbreed i have 10 of normal tiger and 10 piece of super tiger they are currently molting and breeding well

Ph is 6.4-6.5 GH at 5 Kh at 1 temp at 23.5 my tank glass constantly condensate. I read they need much cooler water which i think is true. Previously i have kept a tank with 24-25 temp it wipe out within 2 mths. Although i thought it was disease and during that time they don't breed even if they do breed they drop their eggs alot. So most likely the water parameter is not correct.

Audrina
7th Sep 2011, 08:54 AM
My temp is 74F and totally stable.

Audrina
8th Sep 2011, 04:07 AM
Well I did a little experiment last night with my Nerites as my amano climb out and made a run for it.... I turned off the airstone last night and this morning when I looked in there, I saw two nerites on their back, so I'm wondering if suffocation is the issue here. I'm going to keep my airstone going all the time but I'm not sure what this will mean for my plants? Since I'm providing more oxygen should I begin to dose with Excel again?

Audrina
9th Sep 2011, 09:58 AM
OEBT came today, acclimated them and they are now currently swimming about my tank. Hopefully all will be well.

Nubster
12th Dec 2011, 02:08 PM
Perhaps you could put the airstone on a timer to come on at lights out. The plants in the tank are adding O2 to the water when lights are on and consuming CO2 and when lights go out they do the opposite so the airstone will help with off gassing the CO2 and adding O2 by surface agitation. Just a thought anyways.