PDA

View Full Version : Cherry shrimp ID please

foxpuppet
31st Aug 2011, 08:29 AM
i recently traded some of these to someone for some CRS, but i found another one last night all shrimp have come from 3 batches of RCS and have been in tank for 6 months. i had at least 7 females this colour and a few males with slight pale blue. what should i do with them? is it possible to get more of this blue gene by breeding?

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5996/dsc3547e.jpg

foxpuppet
1st Sep 2011, 06:55 AM
do i need to supply more info? does anyone have any ideas?

thanks in advance

retardo
1st Sep 2011, 08:47 AM
It is possible to breed out the blue. There is a strain of cherries dubbed 'Blue Rili' shrimp where the bodies exhibit this blue color to varying degrees while the carapace remains red. Google "blue rili shrimp" for samples.

zane
3rd Sep 2011, 07:07 AM
I've seen this blue and have selectively bred the color. It appears one of your shrimps has a blue shell instead of a red one, this is a slightly rare mutation in cherry shrimps. When bred with a pure cherry it will result in badly colored cherry shrimp, but if you would breed it with one of the other cherry's that exhibit internal blue or a blue shell you will be more than likely to receive over 1/4 blue shrimp. I find the internal blue similar to that of a blue pearl, and can be stunning when there is no red shell (see avatar pic <---). But even more vibrant is having both a blue shell and blue interior, which is fairly easy to acquire as a small colony after a few generations. Like I said, breeding with normal cherries does not normally result in a blue F1 (interior blue sometimes does, shell almost never). Retardo is right about the blue rili, that is the interior blue color I'm refering to.

If you could get closer pics on the blue ones that appear to have no red I could probably determine if the blue stems from crossbreeding or a mutation.
Thanks for the pic and info, this can help me later pinpoint how these blues start in cherry colonies.
Zane