PDA

View Full Version : Number of cherry shrimplets in one hatch?

Annya
18th Jan 2006, 09:17 PM
Hello,

I have read on the internet that cherries release 30-50 babies in one hatch. However, I have never had more than 12-15 shrimplets at a time (I'm a noobie, so maybe I haven't kept the shrimps long enough to have such broods). Has anyone of you really had 40 or 50 babies from a single hatch? What do these numbers depend on? Is it only feeding, water parameters, etc?

And also, how do you guys estimate the number of shrimplets - do you simply count? I think about 50% of mine are hidden in the driftwood most of the time, so it is impossible to tell.

Yours,
Annya

GunmetalBlue
19th Jan 2006, 02:00 PM
Hi Annya, yes, how many eggs a Cherry mom produces can be dependent upon a number of factors like how well nourished she is, how comfortable she is in her environment (good water parameters and not too much stress), how much egg development she has in her ovaries before they become fertilized, how large she is, how old she is, etc. I've seen a very young RCS get pregnant when she was still quite small, and she only had about 15 or so eggs on her. She would be able to have more eggs as she gets older and larger.

As to the number of shrimplets born, I find that since Cherries are less sensitive than some of the other shrimps, they seem to have a high successful birthrate. In other words, lots of eggs mean lots of shrimplets without too many casualties, provided of course, all is well.

I usually count the number of shrimp during feeding time. I count very quickly, counting by two's to speed things up (2, 4, 6, 8, etc.) and usually count again. That gives me a "guesstimate," but yes, there are usually some left hiding, I'm sure. :curtain: :batman: ;)

-GB

Beviking
21st Jan 2006, 12:50 AM
GB, you must be a very fast counter! Or have few shrimp or both? :undecided
I have too many plants in my tanks to be able to count them (or maybe I'm too slow :huh: ).

Perhaps many of yours are hiding Annya? If you see 12-15, it is likely that you have 24-30 (or more).

-Be

GunmetalBlue
22nd Jan 2006, 03:34 AM
GB, you must be a very fast counter! Or have few shrimp or both? :undecided
I have too many plants in my tanks to be able to count them (or maybe I'm too slow :huh: ).

lol I must be a very fast counter - I've counted up to 80 - 90 juvie shrimp in one sitting before, so it's definitely not for lack of shrimp! But I don't have all that many plants, so that probably makes the job easier. Yes, you must have too many plants to count as many. ;)

-GB