PDA

View Full Version : Shrimps not surviving

ultraman
17th Jan 2006, 07:51 AM
My cherry shrimps are not surviving in my tank. :cry:
With such hardy shrimps and yet they never survive, I am really not sure what is the problem. I need advice and help.

A 2 months old 3 feet tank with a driftwood. Plants are only spike/peacock moss. A canister filter with sponge, bio rings and activated carbon.

When the lights are on, co2 is provided with one bubble per 2 seconds.

Water changes around 10 to 20% weekly. Tap water is treated with sera aqutan left overnight.

water temp = 25-28 degree celsius
ph = 7.0 -7.2 (reduced by using seachem ph5.0 discus buffer that will reduce ph as well as soften the water)
Kh = ? (Going to get a test kit by this week)
Gh = ? (Going to get a test kit by this week)
Ammonia = 0

Guys i requires some help over here.
What's the problem might cause the death?
What's the recommend ph, gh and kh?
Is it ok to use bio rings and activated carbon as filter media?

milalic
17th Jan 2006, 09:04 AM
My cherry shrimps are not surviving in my tank. :cry:
With such hardy shrimps and yet they never survive, I am really not sure what is the problem. I need advice and help.

A 2 months old 3 feet tank with a driftwood. Plants are only spike/peacock moss. A canister filter with sponge, bio rings and activated carbon.

When the lights are on, co2 is provided with one bubble per 2 seconds.

Water changes around 10 to 20% weekly. Tap water is treated with sera aqutan left overnight.

water temp = 25-28 degree celsius
ph = 7.0 -7.2 (reduced by using seachem ph5.0 discus buffer that will reduce ph as well as soften the water)
Kh = ? (Going to get a test kit by this week)
Gh = ? (Going to get a test kit by this week)
Ammonia = 0

Guys i requires some help over here.
What's the problem might cause the death?
What's the recommend ph, gh and kh?
Is it ok to use bio rings and activated carbon as filter media?

Are you dosing anything that has copper in it? I do not see anything wrong with your parameters. I would not use the seachem discuss softener for the purpose of acidifying the water. In my experience those products cause unwanted swings in ph. What ph you have in your tap water? I have breed cherries in ph of 7.6. What is your nitrite, nitrate levels?

ultraman
17th Jan 2006, 12:50 PM
Oh. im not dosing anything other using the water conditioner. my tap water is around 7.5 ph. I'll try to get the no3 and no4 test kits once i have the cash to do so. I wonder is it the nitrite or nitrate be the culprit.

Will high gh or low gh affects the death of the shrimps? How about high kh?

As for the seachem softener, i use it to reduce the ph bit by bit. It took me nearly a week to pull down the ph.

gr81
17th Jan 2006, 02:26 PM
Really, It's very serious to know NO2, NO3 in your water.
Other thing, If shrimps are not surviving, try stop using any chemistry. Remove Carbon and other thing expect sponge from your filter. Replace water slowly and after some time try shrimps again.
But first check NO2/NO3 level and Cu if possible.

spinex
17th Jan 2006, 02:57 PM
High Nitrate dont kill shrimps. Even at more than 50ppm. I suspect your filter media haven't mature yet and don't have enough BB since Ammonia is 0ppm most likely Nitrite is the killer.

ultraman
17th Jan 2006, 04:31 PM
High Nitrate dont kill shrimps. Even at more than 50ppm. I suspect your filter media haven't mature yet and don't have enough BB since Ammonia is 0ppm most likely Nitrite is the killer.

:shocked: wa! high nitrate also doesnt kill shrimps? I'll try to get a nitrite test kit once i'm free to go to purchase one.

ultraman
19th Jan 2006, 10:05 AM
Oh, yesterday i just checked my nitrite and nitrate. My nitrite is 0.3 mg/L as for my nitrate is 12.5mg/L . So is this very high? I really not sure what's the problem if nitrite is not the culprit...

gr81
19th Jan 2006, 02:10 PM
Oh, yesterday i just checked my nitrite and nitrate. My nitrite is 0.3 mg/L as for my nitrate is 12.5mg/L . So is this very high? I really not sure what's the problem if nitrite is not the culprit...
, nitrite is very, very high. That really should kill your shrimp. It seems biofiltration is not working well. How old is that tank? NO2 need to be uncheckable (0.0)

ultraman
19th Jan 2006, 02:34 PM
, nitrite is very, very high. That really should kill your shrimp. It seems biofiltration is not working well. How old is that tank? NO2 need to be uncheckable (0.0)

:huh: you mean 0.3mg/L for nitrite is very high? My tank is 2 months plus for now.

gr81
19th Jan 2006, 04:25 PM
:huh: u mean 0.3mg/L for nitrite is very high? my tank is 2 months plus for now.
Yes 0.3 is killing. What filter do you use? Have you there some fishs? What about plants?
My NO2 test can check only 0.0-0.25mg/L, your concentration is out of range :shocked:

ultraman
20th Jan 2006, 03:33 PM
Yes 0.3 is killing. What filter do you use? Have you there some fishs? What about plants?
My NO2 test can check only 0.0-0.25mg/L, your concentration is out of range :shocked:

I am using canister filter. No fishes.

:shocked: My no2 test kit checks from <0.3,0.3,0.6 and then some higher readings. I think i have get the wrong test kit.

gr81
20th Jan 2006, 04:08 PM
I am using canister filter. No fishes.

:shocked: My no2 test kit checks from <0.3,0.3,0.6 and then some higher readings. I think i have get the wrong test kit.
That's really strange, are you checking really in mg/l ?
Unless you gen 0.0 nitrate it's a waste to add more shrimps. They will die also.
You probably do something wrong because it's unreal to get this after 2 months with no fish.
How do you care this tank?

ultraman
22nd Jan 2006, 04:46 PM
0.0 nitrate?... See how first. Recently i manage to get some gd advice from a shrimp breeder. he said that my canister filter may be bio breakdown. I am going to add more bio rings to generate more bateria and clean the filter totally.

luigi545
20th Jul 2006, 02:26 PM
i intended to set up a planted/shrimp tank, cleared my old planted tank and flushed out the old stuffs from my canister including bio rings as i neglected it for way too long..

came across this @ in s'pore, lava rock alike as BB media
is it proper for planted/shrimp tank as i suspect it might increase the PH
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2832/image036yd9.th.jpg

and this

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3101/image037xq9.th.jpg

need advice too about do i need a Co2 skimmer as required for planted tank
read that shrimplets and shrimps oftenly was sucked into the filter

please rename 'XXX' to 'URL' to view the substances as i cant add urls