PDA

View Full Version : Hardiest shrimp species for a noobie

Annya
14th Jan 2006, 05:07 AM
Hello,

Could anyone tell me what are the hardiest shrimp species except for cherries?

I have had cherries for a few months now and it seems they can survive and breed in my tank. So I am starting to think about another shrimp-only tank, for another species or another species + some cherry offspring from my first 12 litre tank. The problem is I wouldn't like to check the water parameters very often (testing kits are quite expensive here). Water temperature in my tank (without a heater) is 26-28C (78-82F) in winter and varies from 18 to 32C (64-90F) in summer (depending on the temperatures outside). For the time being I cannot afford any good thermostatic device and I would also prefer to do without too many complications. The local water is quite hard (relatively high content of minerals).

So, my question is what other small shrimp species could I keep? I like CRS very much, but from what I read they seem to be quite delicate and I definitely wouldn't like to kill them with my water parameters or temperature. They are also very expensive here. Another species I thought about is tiger. I heard they can be quite hardy, but will they survive with that temperature range and in hard water?

Just to compare, amanos (yamatos) are doing fine in my fish-and-shrimp tank, Atyopsis moluccensis did well for several months and then died off when I was on holiday (probably because the filter broke down when I was away. Surprisingly, all 5 yamatos survived!), but I lost the entire population of red-nose shrimps without any clear reason. However, at that time they were only an "addition" to the fish (guppy-cory) tank and I was not really interested in their requirements. It was later that I discovered I was actually more fond of shrimps than fish.

One more thing: I'm interested in a species that would breed well and without brackish water, and would be definitely peaceful.

Thank you in advance for any expert advice!!!

Annya

simcb
15th Jan 2006, 12:24 AM
Hi Annya,

Tiger like bees do better in cooler water i would say 25 C and they are pretty sensitive to changes in the water parameters. They like CRS prefer mature tanks, its risky to test them in new tanks if you are trying them out for the first time. You might want to settle them in your cherry tank and slowly introduce a few to your new tank to test it out after the tank matures.

BTW Tiger do not cross with cherry if you worry about hybrids.

:) Hope it helps.

gr81
15th Jan 2006, 12:56 AM
Hello,

Could anyone tell me what are the hardiest shrimp species except for cherries?

I have had cherries for a few months now and it seems they can survive and breed in my tank. So I am starting to think about another shrimp-only tank, for another species or another species + some cherry offspring from my first 12 litre tank. The problem is I wouldn't like to check the water parameters very often (testing kits are quite expensive here). Water temperature in my tank (without a heater) is 26-28C (78-82F) in winter and varies from 18 to 32C (64-90F) in summer (depending on the temperatures outside). For the time being I cannot afford any good thermostatic device and I would also prefer to do without too many complications. The local water is quite hard (relatively high content of minerals).

So, my question is what other small shrimp species could I keep? I like CRS very much, but from what I read they seem to be quite delicate and I definitely wouldn't like to kill them with my water parameters or temperature. They are also very expensive here. Another species I thought about is tiger. I heard they can be quite hardy, but will they survive with that temperature range and in hard water?

Just to compare, amanos (yamatos) are doing fine in my fish-and-shrimp tank, Atyopsis moluccensis did well for several months and then died off when I was on holiday (probably because the filter broke down when I was away. Surprisingly, all 5 yamatos survived!), but I lost the entire population of red-nose shrimps without any clear reason. However, at that time they were only an "addition" to the fish (guppy-cory) tank and I was not really interested in their requirements. It was later that I discovered I was actually more fond of shrimps than fish.

One more thing: I'm interested in a species that would breed well and without brackish water, and would be definitely peaceful.

Thank you in advance for any expert advice!!!

Annya
What tests do you mean? Sera, Tetra? Yes that costs a lot.
As I see you are from Poland, that neighbor to Czech Rep. There are at least two Companies making aqua tests.
Rataj - http://www.rataj-spk.cz/ &
Aquar - http://www.aquar.cz

These two has tests for major watter parameters. NO2/NO3/MH3 etc...
It costs approx. 1.5Euro per test. That's not much (at least here-Sera 10Euro per test.). Rataj tests seems to be more acurate to me.

Try look for this test in Poland. I know they sells at Slovakia... If not sold in Poland try write them, maybe they will send it to Polad itself.
Both have E-shop.

GunmetalBlue
15th Jan 2006, 03:10 AM
Hi Annya, Green shrimp (Caridina cf. babaulti) do well in hard water, can be kept with Cherries (will not interbreed), are peaceful, and have shrimplets as opposed to larvae which does not require brackish conditions.

A couple of caveats though - I understand the shrimplets are very small and slow growing. Also, with this species, you don't want your temperature to go so low. 64 degree Farenheit is too low. Low 70's are okay.

I agree with Sim - Tigers, I don't think can handle such high temperatures. Also, they prefer water on the softer side.

It's difficult to find a species that can take the range of temperature you have other than the ones you've already tried. You have to decide what you are able to do - get a heater? Get a chiller? Willing to put in the effort to reduce water hardness? etc., depending on what species you are trying to get.

-GB