PDA

View Full Version : Riccia Fluitans

Dincho
17th Jul 2011, 06:28 PM
Has anybody had any experience Riccia Fluitans? I am looking to add some to one of my tanks and want to know the best way to attach it to a rock, tie it or use a net?

I have read that even if it is tied it can work itself free and float to the surface after about 8 weeks. I have also read that using a net blocks too much light and it dies off :undecided

Cipher
17th Jul 2011, 10:34 PM
I use them in my 2ft tank with 48watts of light. Attached to a rock using hairnets, well for me the bottom bit starts to die off when it has grown nicely. Right now its as tall as a hairgrass and still intact, not sure when it'll come off but i've had it like that for about 12 weeks already. Might need to maintain it to prevent it from making a mess in the tank by re wrapping it in the rock with a hairnet and sell the left over or give it away

Tocho
18th Jul 2011, 06:25 AM
It's easier if you use a net to keep Riccia Fluitans. I have try to tie Riccia Fluitans, and i promise you it is difficult when you have sausage fingers like me :D

lingistis
18th Jul 2011, 07:02 AM
Use a net... for me its the same story as Cipher told it, but mine holds in place for about 2 months.

roark
18th Jul 2011, 04:23 PM
If you are lazy (like me haha), you can do regular trimmings to ensure the riccia growth doesn't become so dense that it starves the bottom portion from light, causing it to brown off and die. The result would be floating riccia everywhere. I find the best method (for me personally) is to hold them down to a rock with a net. Trimming becomes easy as you can take out the rock, trim accordingly, rinse off excess riccia (important if you don't want them floating everywhere and making a mess of your tank), and place them back where you want it.

By the way, a floating riccia pad provides great shades for shrimps, I've always enjoyed seeing my shrimps clinging on to the bottom of the pad grazing.

Dincho
18th Jul 2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, it looks like net is the way to go.

Thanks again

logi-cat
17th Aug 2011, 05:39 PM
You definitely want to use a net when using Riccia. I tied it down with normal fishing line before and the shrimps just picked it out and it started to float everywhere in the tank.

kelvinlim11
7th Oct 2011, 02:35 PM
Has anybody had any experience Riccia Fluitans? I am looking to add some to one of my tanks and want to know the best way to attach it to a rock, tie it or use a net?

I have read that even if it is tied it can work itself free and float to the surface after about 8 weeks. I have also read that using a net blocks too much light and it dies off :undecided

You can tie it to a rock or dw, however, the more it grows the more it will look like a bush. Until it finally detaches itself from the rock and dw. It really depends on how you would like to scape your tank.

Trail_Mix
6th Nov 2011, 03:12 PM
By the way, a floating riccia pad provides great shades for shrimps, I've always enjoyed seeing my shrimps clinging on to the bottom of the pad grazing.

What's the best way to make a floating pad? I'd like to make one. I don't want loose riccia floating around the top of my tank. Thanks!

wicca
15th Nov 2011, 10:01 AM
i have a little bit i think im going to attach to rocks with netting and see how it goes

ShrimpUK
9th Jan 2012, 09:37 PM
Think I may have a go with some ricca on a rock, off to buy a hair net lol

HiepSTA
12th Jan 2012, 11:40 AM
riccia can look amazing as a carpet, but i gave up on using it because the little peices float EVERYWHERE and its very annoying netting it out.

this is what my tank looked like with a riccia carpet and its probably the most beautiful my tank has ever been, but i had to give it up because it was just too annoying to have to worry about it floating back up and having tiny peices flying around everywhere, what a headache, ill never use riccia again no matter how good it looks

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pHosting/f/7013_FTS_10-4c.jpg