PDA

View Full Version : Killin' planaria

gr81
12th Jan 2006, 02:47 AM
Other forum guy told me, that he has big troubles with planaria. that they kill him not only hatchet babies, but also adult shrimps and snails.
Is it possible or that guy add some scifi to that?

retardo
12th Jan 2006, 05:17 AM
Highly doubtful.

Robert
12th Jan 2006, 05:46 AM
Hi,
I saw different species of Planaria already. The biggest I ever saw was about 2cm long and 3-4mm wide (it was really huge). But in this tank were snails and shrimps, too. The Planaria seem to eat mostly dead organisms and I guess they are not able to attack healthy shrimps or snails.

regards
Robert

silane
12th Jan 2006, 09:39 AM
gr81, what is scifi?

retardo
12th Jan 2006, 10:15 AM
scifi= Science Fiction (make-believe)

gr81
12th Jan 2006, 02:50 PM
Mine are approx. 4mm long. I hope they are harmless. On the other hand, in my RCS tank (smallest 6L only) mysteriously babies disappeared. In fact I did not seen planaria attacking shrimp or snails.

fruitpie> scifi=Science Fiction as Retardo wrote. I would say, if that guy did not add something more than truth in his story.

silane
12th Jan 2006, 11:25 PM
Mine are approx. 4mm long. I hope they are harmless. On the other hand, in my RCS tank (smallest 6L only) mysteriously babies disappeared. In fact I did not seen planaria attacking shrimp or snails.

fruitpie> scifi=Science Fiction as Retardo wrote. I would say, if that guy did not add something more than truth in his story.

The 4mm type, it is harmless, I used to have them, but they were got after a while. From my observation, they go for shrimp food like the bigger size relatives.

I was at a LFS, an unusual diamond shrimps caught my attension, it has something pink wiggling near where the legs were. Upon a second look, it was a fresh dead diamond shrimp, infected with a few 20mm planeria, the planeria attack the torsi from the underneath and harrow into its body. This is real, not a Science Fiction. :D

Some hobbyists see a correlation between planeria population and shrimps population. When there is lot of planeria, they are less shrimps. Well, it may be telling that the tank is full of waste/nutrition that make the planeria multiple, and in such condition, shrimps will not grow well.

jwarper
13th Jan 2006, 02:09 AM
Some hobbyists see a correlation between planeria population and shrimps population. When there is lot of planeria, they are less shrimps. Well, it may be telling that the tank is full of waste/nutrition that make the planeria multiple, and in such condition, shrimps will not grow well.

Though this may be true, I do not think the reduction of shrimp is a direct effect of the increase in planaria. An increase in planaria is a sign that there is a lot of plant waste in the water and substrate. Plant waste also means that ammonia and nitrite levels will rise a bit.

Even though you may test the water at the top of the tank showing no ammonia or nitrite, im sure trace amounts exist in the substrate when plant material is decomposing. This is where the shrimp live and where you should take your water sample using an eye dropper.

So increase in planaria means increase in plant waste, which leads to possible water quality issue and decrease in shrimp health.

Now don't take everything i have said for fact. It is only my thoughts and observations.