PDA

View Full Version : Problem with snails shells!

Bedfordshire
1st Jul 2011, 04:19 PM
I just bought 5 Malaysian Trumpet snails & 6 Horned Nerite & all the Trumpets have have very pitted shells, almost as if drops of acid eaten them away, one is so bad it has lots of holes straight through shell?

The Nerites: "clithon corona" have pockmarks instead of horns, however one has it's horned spikes still.

Trumpets are about 1cm long & Nerites are 0,5cm.

Will the shells heal as they grow???

Is this from desease?

http://www.lucaswv.com/shrimp/nerite.jpg

Worried about putting them in tank?

alpo430
1st Jul 2011, 04:54 PM
myabe your water is too acidic. i observed when i have nerites on my planted tank which have slightly acidic water the shells are transparent. when i transfer to my sulawesi tank which has hardwater the shell pattern is visible.

Bedfordshire
1st Jul 2011, 05:17 PM
hi, Alpo, not my water, I just bought them :)

Do you think the shells will heal?

Trumpets a lot worse, actual holes!

and you can see the nerites have no horns :(

Mark
1st Jul 2011, 06:32 PM
I found alot of useful information here http://www.applesnail.net/content/various/snail_disease.php

If you scroll down it mentions how to repair holes in the shell.

Mark

Bedfordshire
1st Jul 2011, 11:18 PM
Spoke to shop, they are going to replace them all, or rather just send me more :)

Akeath
2nd Jul 2011, 01:05 AM
I have an Olive Nerite with a badly corroded shell when I bought him. He eventually did recover, given water with a high pH (8.0) that was somewhat hard (10 dGH). I also supplemented him with calcium from cuttle bone, like for birds, this really helped too, and fed him foods high in calcium like blanched Collard Greens. Now he has a lovely shell, and you would never have guessed it was ever cracked/pockmarked.
This damage happens when snails are kept in soft, acidic water.

Bedfordshire
2nd Jul 2011, 03:27 AM
Well as the shop sent then like that, they said they will replace them.

However my PH is 6.8, GH 5, KH 0 sadly I'm not keeping Sulawesi Shrimp so don't gave any leeway on water parameters :(

I hope I don't end up making my new replacement snails uncomfortable. However they are being hired to do a job & a job they must do :)

Mark
2nd Jul 2011, 04:06 AM
You know when i was a kid i visited the zoo in Blackpool and they had a tank with really big apple snails ,as in fist size ...
Anyway there was alot of cuttlebone and what looked like spinach all over the place in the tank ..

mickdeja
2nd Jul 2011, 06:52 AM
Best of luck with the new snails. Keep us posted.

Bedfordshire
6th Jul 2011, 11:41 PM
Ok, well the replacement snails are coming tomorrow :)

Of the 6 Nerites I've got 3 don't move or try to turn over, 2 will trun over or stick to glass, but then just sit there & the last one eats like crazy covering long distances.

Maybe they were desiesed and I should get rid if them all?

I suppose it's a bit Kate as they all have been in my tank fur a few days :(

Of the 4 trumpets, well 3 are buried in the substrate & one is not too active but does half bury it's self???

Any more advice guys, just chuck the lot?

Coursair
1st Aug 2011, 01:50 PM
Feed them high Calcium food. Maybe you could set up a small snail tank to rotate them to ??

Don't chuck them. I'd give them a chance. MTS are super hardy. And as was mentioned, they can heal their shells. MTS tend to bury themselves during the day.

The Nerites can heal as well. Just check them to make sure they are alive.

Bedfordshire
1st Aug 2011, 08:38 PM
All Nerites dead, all MTS doing fine in my big tank with PH 7.0, but decided to transfer all rest of MTS out of small tank as it was PH 6.5 & they were lethargic.

Now all seem happy now & moving about ;)

Wont buy Nerites again though.

Coursair
2nd Aug 2011, 02:17 AM
I'm just surprised the seller sold such damaged snails. My MTS are super healthy, some even show some red on their shells. http://tapatalk.com/mu/1806476e-ed8a-222f.jpg
Sorry for the crappy phone pic.

Bedfordshire
2nd Aug 2011, 02:35 AM
Yea, I don't have much luck with my purchases at the moment see my thread under CRS about grading :(