PDA

View Full Version : need help for setup shrimp tank

nlarry
9th Jan 2006, 05:02 PM
hi, I am about to setup a shrimp tank but the only thing I haven't decided is the substrate. Pls provide me some advise which one to go for since I don't wanna tear my tank down later. Also, I am planning to riccia in the tank. Since riccia requires CO2, I am just worry about the shrimp may die due to too much CO2......any comments pls....thanks!!

amidala
9th Jan 2006, 08:09 PM
Hi! A shrimp tank will do fine with any kind of substrate really; in fact some hobbyists do away with substrate altogether. The substrate will come into play when you're considering the type of plants you wish to keep in the tank; and of course for aesthetic concerns. I prefer using a single coloured type of substrate, such as Dennerle brown quartz, to allow my shrimps to stand out a little more (as opposed to lapis gravel with mixed colours).

Having said that, it seems that it's better (and less stressful for the shrimps) to have some gravel on the tank bottom rather than none at all - for better grip. You'll also enjoy watching them turn each tiny pebble, picking off morsels of food. :D

GeOff
10th Jan 2006, 12:55 AM
You can also try ADA Amazonia Soil. It is black in colour and will make your cherry or crystal shrimp look more red. It is also slight acidic which is good for shrimp tank.

retardo
10th Jan 2006, 02:46 AM
Also, I am planning to riccia in the tank. Since riccia requires CO2, I am just worry about the shrimp may die due to too much CO2......any comments pls....thanks!!

Riccia grows perfectly fine without supplemental CO2 (DIY or pressurized). It, in fact, also does not require high light. If you want the pearling, then it may be necessary to supplement CO2, but for all intents and purposes, it will grow perfectly fine in a low tech tank (no CO2 and low light). I've put riccia into a small bucket before and simply left under my tank and it still grows green (minimal light).

What type of CO2 supplementation are you planning on using?

nlarry
10th Jan 2006, 03:19 AM
thanks for the help.......I am just using a DIY Co2....

retardo
10th Jan 2006, 01:00 PM
DIY CO2 generally will not produce enough CO2 during lights-out periods to suffocate your shrimp or cause them to swim to the surface for air. Even then, CO2 content and O2 content are mutually exclusive of each other... that is, an increase in CO2 content does not necessarily displace O2.

from another forum:

there is no relation between the amount of O2 and the amount of CO2 in the water (within reason). The O2 level in the water is determined by diffusion at the water surface, proper circulation (mixing surface water and lower water), the amount used by the aquarium bio-life and the amount contributed by photosynthesis. Turning off CO2 at night does nothing to prevent O2 from dropping. O2 is going to drop when the lights go out since the plants stop photosynthesizing.

Only in extreme cases (in pressurized CO2) application where a solenoid (timer) is not used can the CO2 reach high enough levels to begin suffocating the fauna. O2 and CO2 levels will fluctuate throughout the day/night depending on your setup.

Back your orig question about substrate, I use plain gravel and it works fine for me. The shrimp don't complain. I haven't tried/used other substrates yet, so I can't speak to their merits.

nlarry
10th Jan 2006, 02:29 PM
Thank you so much for the information, retardo. I will just use normal substrate and Diy co2 for my up coming shrimp tank.....