PDA

View Full Version : Is eradicating hydra necessary?

Annya
7th Jan 2006, 08:31 PM
Hello everyone,

Unfortunately, I have recently spotted hydra in my cherry breeding tank. I have browsed through the forum, and found different opinions, so I'm quite confused. Will they kill or damage my baby shrimps? Some of you write one can leave them in peace, others claim it might have been the cause of losing the whole tiger shrimplets population. My hydra species seems to be maximum 2 mm long (together with the tentacles), it's really hard to spot. Do you think it's necessary to eradicate them?

I would be really greatful for any confirmed info about them being harmful/neutral to baby shrimps. Has anyone seen a hydra actually eat or paralyse shrimplets? My older shrimplets seem to ignore it, but I have never seen any interaction with the newly hatched ones.

Annya

nano
9th Jan 2006, 03:15 PM
i put 3 adult yamatos into my tank and i think they help me remove them as i don't see the hydras anymore.

dom
9th Jan 2006, 04:34 PM
Try to keep some snails inside yr shrimp tank. Since fish is no no for shrimplet. I never have any hydra inside my shrimp tank with snails.

imi_sky
9th Jan 2006, 04:44 PM
i have heard of ramshorn snails eating hydras from japanese breeders but thats not yet confermed^^.

retardo
10th Jan 2006, 02:35 AM
Better safe than sorry. I'd remove them.

timebomb
20th Jan 2006, 02:59 PM
Hi, everyone,

I'm new to the forum so this is my first post.

Hydra are known to eat fry but I haven't seen them doing so. However, they do eat baby brine shrimps. I can vouch for that as I've experienced Hyrda in my tanks many times. On a diet of bbs, the Hydra population explodes and there will be plenty of them in the tank in a short while.

To eradicate Hydra, use a drug called Flubenzadole. I hope I got the spelling right. It's in powder form, white in colour. The drug is a de-wormer, I think and it's a controlled drug in Singapore, where I live. In the US of A, it should be easily available from a vet or a pet shop. I think some online stores sell it too.

To dose, just drop a small pinch of the powder into your tank and the Hydra will be gone in 2 days. It's very effective. If you have Hydra in one of your tanks, your other tanks will definitely be infected also. So, even if you don't see them in the other tanks, dose them as well.

Good luck.

Loh K L

Rusle
22nd Jan 2006, 09:28 PM
flubendazole/flubenol would take care of the Hydra.
But it is known to take care of snails and duckweed to. I would not bee surprised if it "took care" of the shrimps to.:skull:

imi_sky
23rd Jan 2006, 05:30 AM
baby shrimps wont be able to get caught by the hydras, as they would jolt a few seconds before touching them. although just to be on the safe side, remove as much as u can with a suction tube.

i have had luck with floursih excel to get rid of the hydras, over dose it 2-3x and the next day the tank was clean of hydras. and the plants also thrived. ( but this was done with all possible seen shrimps removed )

Ruinenbaumeister
23rd Jan 2006, 07:30 PM
Hi Annya :)
As far as I experienced: My Hydra I discovered one day vanished as cryptical as it came once.
So don't grab the chemical blackjack - and try to be patient. A small colony of Hydra won't harm young shrimps. An invasion might be killing... don't know what to do then, too.

All the best:

Verena