PDA

View Full Version : safe rocks?

dugrant153
7th Jan 2006, 07:42 AM
I know fish are generally okay with most rocks, but I'm wondering what rocks are safe for shrimp, considering they are more sensitive to heavy metals.

gr81
7th Jan 2006, 06:43 PM
I know fish are generally okay with most rocks, but I'm wondering what rocks are safe for shrimp, considering they are more sensitive to heavy metals.
Rocks which not leaves "things" to water are OK. They can't contain heavy metals of course, but what rock contain it?!
I tried shale, marble, whinstone, flint. Someone uses lava also, but I'm afraid, that noone knows what is lava made of.

Nickel
7th Jan 2006, 07:53 PM
Generally rocks that are stable in parameters are safe. Examples will be granite rock of those large pebbles looks good too.

I using flat granite pebbles about 3-4 inches as islands and Driftwood for scapping my shrimp tank. Such pebbles can be bought at gardening shops. Soak them in water for few days before use to be safer.

dugrant153
8th Jan 2006, 01:46 AM
oh okay. lately, I've just been using rocks in my garden and washing them and then dumping them in (I took them out yesterday because I'm not sure if they were releasing anything into the water).

Nickel
8th Jan 2006, 02:03 PM
Good luck. Should look nice with some rocks and moss in tank.
cheers.

dugrant153
12th Jan 2006, 01:46 AM
is there any sort of 'test' that I can do to make sure my garden rocks are safe for the shrimp tank?
I'm just finding it difficult to identify which rock is which kind. So many variations!

GunmetalBlue
12th Jan 2006, 04:26 AM
Hi Dugrant, I think the test for rocks is muratic acid dropped on the rock. The rock is supposed to fizz if calcite is present. Calcite consists of calcium carbonite - which can alter your pH. So it's best to avoid things like marble (which comes from limestone), limestone, dolomite, shells and corals. Actually some people use crushed shells in media bags in their filters to help buffer pH, if their tap water is too soft.

Lava rock and granite fall under the classification of igneous rocks - which have been formed by the crystallization of magma (that very HOT stuff in volcanos). Very generally speaking, some of the safe rocks are lava rock, slate, quartz, onyx, petrified wood, granite, and those smooth pebbles that have been polished by streams. It's best to avoid any that have lines in them that look metallic or seems to be of a different component than that particular rock.

Any rock I use off the field, I boil for about 20 minutes then just let it sit and cool. I do this in an effort to rid it of any bacteria, fungus, oils, etc. I don't think I need to mention don't put it in the aquarium while hot? :joking:

I've had a quartz rock collection since childhood, collected from different field trips so I guess it's natural for me to want to use them in the aquarium, though I can't say it's all that natural-looking in the tank (although it has a bonsai rock garden look). It's more that I really like quartz. More recently, I picked up a lava rock from a LFS, and again, I can't say mixing lava rock with quartz is all that natural, but the Cherries can't tell. lol You can use the holes in lava rock to stick java ferns in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v321/ZeroCatgravity/ZMisco%20Shrimp/04AR620185600W9.jpg

I'm also using Tahitian Moon Sand, which looks like natural sand made from lava, though I'm really not sure - anyone know? I kind of deduced this because there seems to be very minute flecks of shell in it - though I've been told that the amount is too small to have much effect on the water. At any rate, I've been using it for almost 4 months with no problems. :)

-GB

dugrant153
24th Jan 2006, 03:02 PM
on the topic of lava rock, I found that I have some barbecue lava rock!!

is this stuff the same thing? can it be used in an aquarium?

gnatster
25th Jan 2006, 06:11 AM
on the topic of lava rock, I found that I have some barbecue lava rock!!

is this stuff the same thing? can it be used in an aquarium?

Yes it can, I often wrap some moss around these types of rocks. Of course if you have cooked with these rocks I would not recommend them due to the "grease" content.

dugrant153
25th Jan 2006, 07:41 AM
my only concern is that BBQ rock may be treated for chemicals...
are they?