PDA

View Full Version : Thread Algea - Help!

sixftsam
5th Jun 2011, 11:18 PM
Heya guys,

I have had my shrimp tank set up with shrimp in for arond 6 weeks, but I'm having a constant battle against thread algea. The tank is a CRS tank, 35l with 5 CRS in it. I'm having to manually remove the algea but within two days its back with threads up to 6 inches long and it makes the tank look disgusting.

Does anyone know any safe way to treat a CRS tank to get rid of thread algea? I got a lil snail but its doing nothing in the grand scheme of things. All idea are welcome!

francoss
12th Jun 2011, 09:32 AM
what type of algea you have? place the setup of your aquarium (temperature, lighting, fertilizing, etc.).

hibi
12th Jun 2011, 03:42 PM
How long do you leave the lights on? Watts of your lights?

Dincho
12th Jun 2011, 05:58 PM
It sounds like high nitrate levels combined with too much lighting.

seiji64
12th Jun 2011, 09:25 PM
If you are talking about cladophora, it is difficult to eradicate. I was able to do so by adding 10 amano shrimp to my tank (feed as little as possible to encourage algae eating), aggressively pulling out as much as possible daily, and follow with a 7 day blackout period. I lost some plants, but my moss was fine. If you've got plants that you can cheaply / easily replace and the algae is thoroughly entangled in them, just toss them.

Before
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5172/5462332545_38901b78d7_b.jpg
After
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5019/5462332597_5fc4d7e3a4_b.jpg

Mark
12th Jun 2011, 10:34 PM
I have asked about this on another forum but no answers yet .

My thoughts are this is a type of algae that thrives in conditions of to much light and lack of nutrients .

Here is my reasoning

I have a 60ltr planted tank that i dosed with ferts ,and the plant growth was great but for say maybe 1 month i didn't dose ferts and the plant growth stopped and i started to get string algea ,then 3 days ago i started ferting again and the string algae is disappearing .

Conclusion

Algae thrives when conditions are not ideal for plants to grow in so you have to strike a balance between what the plants need,lighting and ferts ect.

sixftsam
15th Jun 2011, 02:54 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys, those are some really useful comments.

tank is 35litres, one normal T5 bulb that came with the tank, no ferts dosed at all. plants consist of a 3x3 inch riccia moss square, 5 smallish marimo balls and a small java fern, along with the damn algea.

Lighting period is about 6 hours, but tank is in a room with no blind so natural sunlight is constantl cming in. I've placed something n the side of the tank facing the window to block out some light but this doesnt seem to be helping.

Any ideas based on what I've said here? I'd like to post some pics of my lovely shrimp, but dont want the tank looking disgusting u know?

Sam

francoss
16th Jun 2011, 12:16 AM
put some photos to people identify the type of algae

do you use some kind of fertile substrate?

p.s. sorry for my english, is not my native language ...

whizzle
27th Jun 2011, 03:27 AM
Pictures would help. From what I have read tho it sounds like you have entirely too much light. I would manually remove as much algae as possible and turn off the t5 for a atleast a few days and see if it helps.

gourmettea
27th Jun 2011, 07:35 AM
I'm battling this algae too in my moss tank. I am going to try moving the shrimps for the afternoon and treating the tank with H2O2.

kelvinlim11
7th Oct 2011, 01:39 PM
Heya guys,

I have had my shrimp tank set up with shrimp in for arond 6 weeks, but I'm having a constant battle against thread algea. The tank is a CRS tank, 35l with 5 CRS in it. I'm having to manually remove the algea but within two days its back with threads up to 6 inches long and it makes the tank look disgusting.

Does anyone know any safe way to treat a CRS tank to get rid of thread algea? I got a lil snail but its doing nothing in the grand scheme of things. All idea are welcome!

I have those in my tanks too. Only way is to slowly and dilligently remove them. I don't think there is any other good ways.