PDA

View Full Version : Grading System

rymeyer
6th Jan 2006, 03:24 AM
I am new to shrimp keeping, and I'm just getting ready to start a red cherry shrimp species tank. My previous shrimp keeping experience is limited to keeping about 10 Amano shrimp in a community tank.

After browsing through this great forum and seeing a wide variety of different shrimp species and color forms, I've noticed that people who are breeding shrimp talk about some kind of a grading system for shrimp. Could someone please explain the grade system to me? Is it species, country, or contest specific, or can all shrimp be graded? What is the intent of the grading system?

Thanks, and I look forward to a response.

-Ryan

retardo
6th Jan 2006, 03:41 AM
Grading primarily pertains shrimp that are selectively bred to exhibit certain traits... CRS, for example, are considered high grade with strong red and white stripes and low grade when the red and white stripes are inconsistent and/or transparent. CRS have been bred such that some exhibit a red "circle" surrounded by white on the tail area. This grade of shrimp is dubbed "hinomaru," literally "sun circle," as on the Japanese flag.

Tiger shrimp and Bee shrimp are other species that are graded, but not to the extent that CRS are.... in fact, nowhere near it. There are probably a few others species. Amanos and Cherry Shrimp are not graded.

rymeyer
6th Jan 2006, 03:53 AM
Thanks. Do you know if there are any websites that explicitly detail the grading criteria? Also, what results does grading have? Do higher grades sell for more, do they win competitions, etc.?

gr81
6th Jan 2006, 04:06 AM
Look at library, there is grading of CRS.
and yes, high grade are more expensive (much,much more) than low grade

retardo
6th Jan 2006, 05:57 AM
check this link: http://www.shrimpnow.com/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=21