PDA

View Full Version : Worm trap

dom
4th Jan 2006, 01:22 PM
I believe most of hobbyst in here having worm problem inside their shrimp tank when they didn't really clean up the tank. Just like me....just top up water and never bother about the water change. :D

Month after month...saw the worm chasing the food with shrimp. The worm will release some kind of slime and made all the shrimp can't get close to them. I was using finger to "smack" them...and found my finger full with the slime n very sticky. But still can't kill all of them. Very disgusting to watch them swimming around...

Lucky, saw the thread from Fruitpie... i made one for my own- the worm trap.
http://www.albumtown.com/data/5dc4eb9f87745d9b68298f34bb21a872/39322_p854306.jpg

There are hundred of worm busy with the pellet inside there. Try to get those smelly or expired sinking pellet. Then leave some small portion of air inside there. (I found the worm do need lot of O2 to survive. Because one of my filter was malfunction and all the worm floating or staying at the water surface.)

retardo
4th Jan 2006, 02:10 PM
YUCK!!! Every time I see one of these worms (planaria), I use a turkey baster and suck them out, hoping that they are the last one... but it never is... I always manage to find a straggler... Now, at least I can try and build something to get rid of them once and for all... Thanks for the visually disgusting picture! :shocked: And thanks to fruitpie for the design.

imi_sky
4th Jan 2006, 05:17 PM
it never stops surprising me when i see planarias inside my shrimp tank. but it seems like that traps works WONDERS!!

gr81
4th Jan 2006, 05:36 PM
How is it made that shrimps aren't traped also?

silane
4th Jan 2006, 10:07 PM
:shocked: :shocked: That's the most disgusting picture in the forum. :joking:

Di you left the trap overnight? Or it work equally well at daytime/light is on?

dom
5th Jan 2006, 07:51 AM
This is the first time i used that trap. My gf was mentioned about it said fruitpie in shrimpnow got such kind of trap while i was complaining the worm making me feel like want to vomit.

So..i just tried it out. And the picture show is just around half an hour result with lighting on. What to do?? the planaria are more than my shrimp inside the tank. :D

Last night is my 3rd time to try...i placed it in overnight. And trap hundred of them. I found they are more active when the light is off.

retardo
5th Jan 2006, 08:56 AM
I will have to make a trap now. I wonder truly how many planaria actually live in my tank now...

Nickel
5th Jan 2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the pic of the trap, dom.

I not good with diy stuff and cannot find fruitpie's post on topic even doing a search.

From the pic, it seemed like just cut a mineral water bottle into halves and insert the bottle outlet into the bottom half. then put some food pellets inside and prasto !!

Above direction correct ?

Thanks for advise and help.

dom
5th Jan 2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the pic of the trap, dom.

I not good with diy stuff and cannot find fruitpie's post on topic even doing a search.

From the pic, it seemed like just cut a mineral water bottle into halves and insert the bottle outlet into the bottom half. then put some food pellets inside and prasto !!

Above direction correct ?

Thanks for advise and help.

Yes...u got it...

jjkolodz
24th Jul 2007, 08:13 AM
Where is this picture?

Zapisto
24th Jul 2007, 09:50 AM
yes please repost
thanks

retardo
7th Mar 2009, 03:36 PM
Pic reposted.

http://www.shrimpnow.com/mygallery/files/1/9/1/worm_trap_172.jpg (http://www.shrimpnow.com/mygallery/showimage.php?i=2121&c=newimages)

The trap is intended to be stuck directly into the substrate. The worms will enter through the bottom and go to the top where they will feed on the bait. I made a modification to this original design, by drilling a small hole on the bottle top and rescrewing it on before sealing the two parts. That way, fewer of the worms escape back into the tank. It is quite effective. It will get most of the worms, but not all. Recommend re-launching the trap a few times for maximum effectiveness.

retardo
19th Mar 2009, 02:17 AM
Adding on a good link to another thread of the same topic. It contains a lot of good information and picture of a trap prototype (post #18) for better clarity on the design of the trap.

http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2324