PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to chiller

pidro
31st May 2011, 09:35 PM
Just wanted to know is anybody here can suggest an alternative to chillers with compresor to bring down the temp of the water inside my 5 and 10 gallon tank? I want mywater temp to reach 23 to 25 degrees so that i can have tiger shrimps. My current water temp is 28deg.

avex30
2nd Jun 2011, 02:17 PM
Just wanted to know is anybody here can suggest an alternative to chillers with compresor to bring down the temp of the water inside my 5 and 10 gallon tank? I want mywater temp to reach 23 to 25 degrees so that i can have tiger shrimps. My current water temp is 28deg.
I dun think there is unless you use ice pack but this will cause a temp fluctuation to your temp which will eventually stress your tiger out.

ZliBrka
5th Jun 2011, 03:20 AM
You should trie to use cooling computer fan. It is good and cheap.

imke_j
5th Jun 2011, 12:32 PM
Agree, I guess a fan chiller might do the job, but you will have a higher evaporation rate for sure. Fan chillers are not sooo expansive; anyway - if you are a DIY guy, using a PC fan is a good idea, too:

http://www.beeshrimp.at/tipps-und-tricks/aquarien-kuehlung

Have you read this?
http://www.shrimpnow.com/content.php/136-Chiller-and-Thermoelectric-Cooling-for-Tanks

junbon
5th Jun 2011, 01:48 PM
I am a new member in this forum. I just bought a fan cooler yesterday and was satisfied with the results. My tank is a nano tank (1 1/2 ft) and I managed to bring down the temperature form 30 degrees to 26 :-) Quick amazing huh?
And I agree with imke_j. You will need to refill your tank water more often because evaporation rate is higher. Basically I refill my tank every day

kboycor
5th Jun 2011, 03:56 PM
in the past when the temp was to hige i make a rail with computerfans, these conect on a adapter and it works very good

ataru
5th Jun 2011, 04:01 PM
My experiment use a fan as coller and achived 2 deg down from 28 C to 26 but evaporation rate will affected your water parameter.If the tank size is small (1'x1'x1') it is really not advisible because CRS is sensitive of the water parameter. refill every day after that you need to refill again the shrimp....
If the tank size is big they can servive but the colour is not pretty like at 22-24 C.But it will not easy hatch under 26 C....so see what you want...Under this 26 C sakura or cheery shrimp should not issue....So it is depend individual....
When use the chiller also need consider the electricity bil.....
Tiger shrimp also very sensivitive in water parameter and temp....with the fan you can reduce to 26 C but tank size small they are unable service whenkeep refill water every few day...

kboycor
5th Jun 2011, 04:07 PM
wich parameters are change? here it diddent effect on the shrimps.

Tikiman
20th Jun 2011, 02:29 AM
I remember one of the most simplest DIY for a chiller i read in a fish article.

1st you need a cooler and drill someone holes into for your filter assuming you are using a canister filter. Put your canister filter in the cooler and ice. And presto.