PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know what the "Indian Zebra Shrimp" is?

Jane of Upton
31st Dec 2005, 03:45 AM
Hello,

I was recently on Frank's Aquarium website, looking at the shrimp (which sold out quickly - I should have placed an order when I first saw them!). There was an "Indian Zebra Shrimp" listed. The picture is of some very nice looking shrimp, with a thicker body than most shrimp I've seen. Does anyone know anything about this type of shrimp? Is it a Cardinia or a Neocardinia? Is the larval state supressed - can it have "babies" like Red Cherry Shrimp, or does it need to go through larval stages like the Cardinia japonica/Amano shrimp?

Thanks for any information you can give me.
-Jane

Jane of Upton
31st Dec 2005, 05:21 AM
OK, having looked on the german website Wirbosse, and coming back here to search for threads about the C. cf. babaulti in general, I believe these to be

Caridina cf. babaulti var. "Stripes" from India

Fruitpie posted an inquiry asking if these bred true, and other posts implied that they have a repressed larval state (ie, they'll produce benthic mini-adults). But, these posts kind of left off, without definitive answers.

So.... are these "higher order" in terms of reproduction?
Being Cardinia, will they be OK to keep with Neocardinia Red Cherry Shrimp?
Are they algae eaters or scavengers?
Are they on par with RCS to keep, or are they especially difficult?

Any information and experience would be of great help. Gosh, I wish I could read German.... I stumbled through that database website, but I'm sure I missed half of the important details.

Thanks!
-Jane

silane
31st Dec 2005, 11:40 AM
They are higher order, production machines, but they do not duplicate the offsprings well. For mine, the offsprings they produced do not come with lines like the parents.

Algae eaters or scavengers, these 2 terms are used to justify the existence of shrimps in tank to compliment what is a fish or planted tank lacking? :D Actually, they eat everything when hungry, they prefer to eat fish food or shrimp food over algae. Lack of supplied food in a tank will turn Cardinia and Neocardinia into scavengers and algae eaters.

They are very easily to keep.

Jane of Upton
31st Dec 2005, 09:44 PM
Oh, I didn't mean to imply anything disparaging about the shrimp when asking if they were algae eater or scavenger! I was just thinking about whether they'd be more at home in a tank where there are snails to eat the algae up, or whether they'd prefer a tank with no other algae eaters, so they could have some. I'm very careful about feeding my shrimp. They get a variety of foods (extra spirulina flakes for the "algae-lovers") and calcium-rich pellets.

And I do keep the shrimp with very small fish, and lots of plants and hiding spaces. But I see them as part of an interesting community!

That's interesting that the "stripes" are not a directly inherited pattern. These still sound like interesting shrimp to keep!

Thanks for the reply!
-Jane