PDA

View Full Version : Spotting of shrimplets

Annya
28th Dec 2005, 12:51 AM
Hi everyone,

Is it normal that you cannot spot even a single one of your hatched cherry shrimplets? Is there any period of hiding before they start to roam the tank?

I observed the tank very closely when the hatching date was approaching. Then I could spot only 2 baby shrimps in the Java moss. On the following day there were five of them in various places - on the tank walls, in floating plants, etc. However, for the last two days I could not spot even a single one! Are they normally hiding for some time, or are they probably dead?

My tank is 12.6 litre (about 2.7 gallons), planted, but you can see most of the places except under a large piece of driftwood. Also I got suspicious about my filter - the inlet is covered with a sponge, but in the upper part it has six little openings (there is no current there, but it is possible that the shrimplet could walk inside and get somewhere close to the pump).

simcb
28th Dec 2005, 08:23 AM
Try to cover any holes of your inlet with a fine netting that usually comes with biohome or used active carbon netting. When they grow old enough they might venture into the holes.

If its only a few days old, chances are it is low. It takes me 2 weeks to see many baby shrimplets so it might be some of them are growing slower thus harder to see.

Robert
30th Dec 2005, 01:02 AM
Hi Annya,
don't worry too much about them. They are quit hardy and they like to hide in the first weeks. I guess you will find some of them behind or under the driftwood. Like most other dwarf shrimps they prefer dark places and they are more active at night.

regards
Robert

Walter
3rd Jan 2006, 02:00 PM
Shrimplets are very small. And yes, they can hide very well (Natural instinct to hide from predators).

Annya
5th Jan 2006, 07:16 AM
Thank you for all the replies!

Actually I am starting to see more and more of them. Some even start to get their "cherry" coloration :)

hardcyder
6th Jan 2006, 04:34 AM
I have a few baby ghost shrimp and find they behave like brine shimp in that they are attracted to light. I turn the aquarium and room lights out, leaving only a flashlight shining into a section of the tank. Within a short time a lot of the babies will congregate in the lit area and on the glass.