PDA

View Full Version : Are other Rasboras OK with shrimp?

Jane of Upton
24th Dec 2005, 10:42 PM
Hello,

I've seen several folks mention that the Dwarf Rasbora (Boraras maculatus) is a good tankmate for shrimp, as they are small enough not to bother the shrimp fry, and get nicely colored in planted tanks.

I was wondering about other Rasboras. I found a source for the "Mosquito Rasbora" Boraras brigittae, and was wondering if anyone has experience with them, and whether they'll leave shrimp alone. They look very beautiful, I'm rather smitten with the look of this fish, and I'd love to get a school of them.

I have not found much information about them. The LFS dealer who has them said to call ahead, as he keeps them at home, because he'd have to devote an entire tank to them in his shop, because they're so small they would be eaten by other fish.

There is a link to the picture and habitat information at the Fishbase website. The Species Summary # is 22509 for Boraras brigittae. I am not able to post links on this forum yet.

Thanks for any information about this little beauty!
-Jane

turbomkt
25th Dec 2005, 12:11 AM
If you can get them...DO IT! Great little fish that won't harm your shrimp! My favorite LFS gets the micro rasboras in every once in a while...

Jane of Upton
25th Dec 2005, 04:28 AM
Are the Brigettae also known as "Micro", or is this yet another rasbora? I thought the Micro ones were the ones with a single spot on their dorsal fin. Maybe I'm confused with the common names.

So have you kept the Brigettae? Are they nice? Do they stay out in the open like the Harlequins do? Are they good schooling fish?

Thanks for any input.
-Jane

retardo
25th Dec 2005, 06:56 AM
Boraras Brigittae's mouths are generally too small to make a meal out of a shrimp, except baby brine.

turbomkt
25th Dec 2005, 02:06 PM
IIRC, micro rasboras is a generic name for the itty bitty fishies ;)

I've got maculata and exclamation points in my 10g shrimp tank. Imagine a fish small enough that 25 of them look small in a 10g.

A friend nearby had some brig's and was quite happy with them. Good color, small, etc...

EQualizer
27th Dec 2005, 08:21 AM
Wow, where did you get them from? I live in Irvine, which is like 1 hour away from San Diego and I've never seen those guys anywhere.

turbomkt
27th Dec 2005, 11:16 AM
Mine were from Aquatic Warehouse (http://www.aquaticwarehouse.com). My friend got his brig's up in the bay area during a business trip.

shaman
27th Dec 2005, 04:06 PM
Rasboras eat shrimp fry for sure. The newly born are just nice to fit the mouth.

gr81
27th Dec 2005, 05:09 PM
I'm also afraid that new born shrimps are good food for every fish. Maybe some small Corydoras could be fain. eg. Corydoras pygmaeus

Jane of Upton
28th Dec 2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks for all the input!

I think I will get these - in a heavily planted tank, the losses of fry predation should be few, if any, and I can live with that. They really are pretty.

I've never heard of the "Exclamation point" Rasbora.

Oh, and these are from a LFS called AquaLife in Providence, RI. I'm in the area every few weeks.

Thanks everyone!
-Jane

spinex
28th Dec 2005, 08:27 AM
I'm also afraid that new born shrimps are good food for every fish. Maybe some small Corydoras could be fain. eg. Corydoras pygmaeus

Yes this corydoras is small but then even the smallest corydoras is bigger than any boraras. I'm not sure whether the presence of fish put those shrimp under stress especially if you wanted to try and breed them.

Of course if you have a very heavily planted tank with many hidding places it should be fine.

retardo
30th Dec 2005, 02:58 AM
Discus have been reported to not eat baby shrimp, even after they are newly hatched. I have witnessed this first hand myself in a friend's tank. So sometimes, it just depends.

bochr
30th Dec 2005, 08:00 AM
I keep Boraras maulatus, B. merah and B. micros together with shrimps, and they don't bother young and adult shrimps.
I have never seen the rasboras eat any shrimplets, but I'm pretty sure they do. There's not as many shrimps growing up in these tanks as in my shrimp only tanks.

http://www.aquabo.dk/img/maculatus/08140010male.jpg
Maculatus male and young RCS females.

(link:img-maculatus)
(link:img-merah)
(link:img-micros)

The name micro rasboras can be a bit confusing.
I have seen Micro Rasbora used as a tradename for B. micros.
And there is the genus Microrasbora - which I'm looking forward to trying together with shrimps, as soon as I can get my hands on some.

Shrimpy new year to you all.

(Your Post contains one or more URLs, please remove them before submitting your message again. Only regular forumers are allowed to add URL.
Why?)