PDA

View Full Version : worm-like creatures in my tank

Annya
24th Dec 2005, 02:55 AM
hi everyone,

I have a question. I have noticed small worm-like organisms in my 3 month old shrimp tank. The biggest one is about 5 mm long; there is also a lot of smaller ones, 1 mm long or so. They are white (the biggest one is white-beige) and move by crawling. They look like roundworms, but slightly flattened. I would like to know what it is and if they are dangerous for my shrimps? Also, does it mean that water conditions are good or bad? And is there a way to get rid of them without harming the shrimps? They are actually quite ugly :( .

Unfortunately I don't have a camera, so I cannot send a photo.

Also, I would like to know if cyclops are a sign of good or bad water parameters? There are definitely some in my tank.

Thanks in advance for any info
Annya

Pconnieae
24th Dec 2005, 07:43 AM
Hi Annya,

those small creatures (cyclops, ostracods, nematodes, planaria...) are quite common in any tank. This is not a sign of bad water parameters but you could try to feed less to get rid of them. Anyway they are shrimp-safe.

It has been discussed before. You can try searching for the last thread this was discussed :) .

Annya
24th Dec 2005, 08:04 AM
Thanks a lot. I'll browse through the threads :). The most important thing is that they are not dangerous for the shrimps. I'm very relieved now :)

marleunited
24th Dec 2005, 12:21 PM
Annya, youu can go get Boraras ...

They'll help youu eat up all those worms like Planaria within a few days..

Depending on the size of your tank, about 2 is enough for a 1.5ft tank.., best thing is Boraras are shrimp friendly too.

Frank
25th Dec 2005, 01:46 AM
Good tip. And they do not eat mini shrimps?

retardo
25th Dec 2005, 07:00 AM
It sounds like you have planaria. Also, I've never known any fish of the Boraras genus to eat planaria (I've tried feeding them to my Maculatas).

I usually suck them out of my tank using a turkey baster when I see them. I've had pretty good success getting rid of them that way (they are not prolific breeders).

marleunited
25th Dec 2005, 11:05 AM
yup, i had planaria in my tank.. bought 3 boraras.. abt 1.4cm in length each.. a few days later all the planaria were gone.. personally saw them happily eatg the planaria.. as for baby shrimps, im not sure as my shrimps arent pregnant yet.. however, boraras are known to be shrimplets friendly. yup.

Nickel
2nd Jan 2006, 08:23 PM
I think they are harmless in shrimp tank.

I just cleared my shrimp tank and found lots of slim worms in the sand. My shrimps had been multiplying for a while now. Never knew they were there as they never come to surface when my shrimps are inside tank.

Think the worms will eat the leftovers in the sand and break it down to harmless waste.

Frank
2nd Jan 2006, 11:42 PM
that´s correct. So not too much feeding for not too much worms. At all i also think they´re harmless.

iloveshrimps
12th Jan 2006, 12:06 PM
hi

Want to know whether the shrimplets will be eaten up by the neon tetra in my tank?

Alan :huh:

retardo
12th Jan 2006, 03:08 PM
hi

Want to know whether the shrimplets will be eaten up by the neon tetra in my tank?

Alan :huh:

Yep. They'll make a quick meal out of baby shrimp.

iloveshrimps
12th Jan 2006, 07:59 PM
Hi retado

Sorry for the confusion caused. Thank you for the valuable information you have given.

iloveshrimps :rolleyes:

snails4sale
23rd Apr 2006, 02:03 AM
i hope you dont get a damsel nymph as i did and it ate all but one baby danio
i too have little things swiming in one of my tanks, never had any trouble from them

crs89
12th May 2007, 12:36 AM
any link to previous thread? sourcing for more helps..