PDA

View Full Version : Caridina and Neocaridina taxonomical diffrencies

Daudin
23rd Dec 2005, 04:44 PM
What are diffrencies between Caridina and Neocaridina genus?

Daudin
23rd Dec 2005, 05:48 PM
I found interesting page about it :) ... 3xw.wirbellose.de/klotz/neocaridina...why is forbidden to insert full correct name of web pages?

Pconnieae
23rd Dec 2005, 08:22 PM
Only regular members can post links. You have not been here for long enough to be allowed to do it. Even if I have difficulties in reading German, your link is really interesting:

http://www.wirbellose.de/klotz/neocaridina.html

In France, many people still think that if the larvae don't need brackish water so the shrimps belong to the genus Neocaridina.

Daudin
23rd Dec 2005, 09:21 PM
Thanks Pconnieae for your help. I also thought genus Neocaridina has direct development without larval stage and genus Caridina has indirect development with larval stage in ontogenetic development. But it seems only small morphological differences define or separate them. It would be very useful to read original scientific papers about this problem.

Does exist some Caridina/Neocaridina species with indirect development whose larvae live only in fresh water without requirement of brackish or full salt water?

droid
12th Apr 2008, 04:14 PM
My shrimp (I believe C. babaulti - they hitch-hikeded on some plants) have a larval stage and are only freshwater. There's a picture of one such larva somewhere in this forum.

Pens 5, Sens 3. Fish on!
droid

gr81
12th Apr 2008, 11:51 PM
babaultis haven't larval stage. you probably have something else.

wklotz
14th Apr 2008, 05:17 PM
Hi!

Does exist some Caridina/Neocaridina species with indirect development whose larvae live only in fresh water without requirement of brackish or full salt water?

Yes, there are a lot of species of the genus Caridina with Zoea larval stages which can develop in pure freshwater. Some well known members of this development type are Caridina kempi from Western India or Caridina babaulti basrensis. There are also some members of this genus belonging to the "abbreviated" (direct) development type: Caridina cantonensis, Caridina serrata, Caridina breviata, Caridina cf. babaulti (C. weberi prox. var. sumatrensis) or all endemics from the Central Lakes of Sualwesi.

All known members of the genus Neocaridina belong to the abbreviated (direct) development type.

Cheers
Werner