PDA

View Full Version : How is the baby shrimp look like?

dom
25th Mar 2005, 01:00 PM
I have a nano tank full with tiger, hybrid and yamato shrimps. One of the hybrid and tiger carrying eggs last few weeks. After that, saw some little tiny fellas swiming on the glass of the tank. It is just look like a small bug. Is that a baby shrimp?

Or the baby shrimp will just look like their parents after they hatched from the eggs? Are they transforming from the tiny bug then into the shrimp look?

Please advise.

Walter
25th Mar 2005, 01:16 PM
they give birth as shrimplets.. exactly look like adults but small alot...

the small bugs is some kinda other organisms that is common in shrimp tanks.... not sure what is it though

dom
25th Mar 2005, 01:18 PM
Are those small bugs harm to the shrimps or baby shrimps?

Nanami
25th Mar 2005, 03:21 PM
those bugs are probably bigger infusoria or rotifers.Infusoria are actually protozoans that are usually present in any healthy aquarium that is more than a few months old.they're harmless to shrimps. actually are are also present in fish tanks but because fish eats them we don't see it often in fish tanks

silane
25th Mar 2005, 03:53 PM
Those small creatures swimming in water or on wall in shrimp only tank are likely to be Daphia, cyclope or rotifer. They are harmless to shrimps.

http://www.geocities.com/animalbio/biology/crustaceans1.gif

http://www.geocities.com/animalbio/biology/rotifer.gif

Source:
http://www.geocities.com/animalbio/biology.htm

dom
25th Mar 2005, 03:59 PM
This is a very good info. Thank you man. But some of them are harm to fishes?

Walter
25th Mar 2005, 07:54 PM
definitely not daphnia i think as i think they canot survive in the clean shrimp tank waters...

cyclops are harmful to small fish fries so i guess shrimps shld be careful too? but cyclops are usually found in same waters as daphnias... a little stinky type with lots of ammonia..

:)

Robert
25th Mar 2005, 08:49 PM
Hi Dominic,
your shrimplets should look like miniature versions of the adult, except for the yamato shrimp larvaes, but less colorful. What you problally have is a kind of cyclops. I also have such very tiny white things in my tanks. They like to jump through the water. They should be a kind of cyclops. I don't know where they came from or what they eat but I have several kinds of them in all my shrimp tanks and moss containers for years now. The are not harmful to shrimps in my experience. Sorry, I have no picture of them because they are too small (<1mm) for my camera.

regards

Robert

Walter
26th Mar 2005, 12:54 AM
Hi Dominic,
your shrimplets should look like miniature versions of the adult, except for the yamato shrimp larvaes, but less colorful. What you problally have is a kind of cyclops. I also have such very tiny white things in my tanks. They like to jump through the water. They should be a kind of cyclops. I don't know where they came from or what they eat but I have several kinds of them in all my shrimp tanks and moss containers for years now. The are not harmful to shrimps in my experience. Sorry, I have no picture of them because they are too small (<1mm) for my camera.

regards

Robert

if i remembered correctly cyclops are rod-shaped? those are spherical, shaped liek daphnia but they swim like cyclops... daphnia swim in a "squid like" way.. darting...

Walter
26th Mar 2005, 07:48 PM
just looked through my tank and i noticed some of them are actually swimming with the "darting" style... just like a daphnia... :confused:

this is confusing... :confused:

silane
26th Mar 2005, 07:51 PM
Walter, take a look at the above pic, I ever seen cyclop look exactly like in the pic. Some of them even has eggs sack.

Walter
26th Mar 2005, 09:21 PM
Walter, take a look at the above pic, I ever seen cyclop look exactly like in the pic. Some of them even has eggs sack.
do you think there is a possibility theres actually a mixture of small organisms in there? their swimming styles seem to vary... cyclops swim with darting style? i always thought they swim at constant speed :confused: