PDA

View Full Version : New use for Marimo Moss Balls: Floating "Tree"

jonathandowers
12th Apr 2011, 02:02 AM
So I just got my Marimo mossballs, and was sad to see them float within minutes of being in direct light.

That immediately gave me an idea :idea2:.

I split the Marimo in half, and tied the flat base down to a rock.

Result (the picture cannot do it justice):

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6667/treedx.jpg (http://img696.imageshack.us/i/treedx.jpg/)

My shrimp *love* hanging upside down and sleeping under it.

This opens up so many exciting possibilities!

My suggestions to make this better:
* Use an invisible, non-degradable fishing line and create a line of different layers (kind of like the old school Mario mushroom top platforms).
* Use a stiff line/wire to have the Marimo maintain it's position when the lights go off (or else they'll sink and unexpectedly frighten the shrimp)
* Use a stick of driftwood, split a bit of the end, and use it as a 'fork' to pinch the Marimo base. Then it'll look like a real mini 'tree'.

gourmettea
21st Apr 2011, 05:22 AM
Is it still floating? My usually only float for a few hours then it sinks...

jonathandowers
21st Apr 2011, 05:32 AM
Is it still floating? My usually only float for a few hours then it sinks...

Yes! Mine is still floating strong. If I turn off the light, it does sink. With the lights on, it takes about an hour or two to float again.

The shrimp *love* sleeping underneath it. Plus, I use it as a feeding hill. The broken food pieces sink into the marimo instead of the gravel, and the shrimp love cleaning it thoroughly.

On an interesting note, a small, 4 mm piece of the marimo budded off, and it's rising/sinking every hour or so on it's free will (this is a completely still tank). Very fun to watch :)

gourmettea
21st Apr 2011, 05:34 AM
You can make a Avatar tank!

jonathandowers
21st Apr 2011, 05:40 AM
You can make a Avatar tank!

An avatar tank?

Shrimp_Hunter
21st Apr 2011, 06:36 AM
the movie Avatar

Mark
23rd Apr 2011, 03:45 AM
Your Marimo ball will die then rot on the bottom side if its tied down . It floats because of photosynthesis and will sink in darkness .

You can if you dont want it to float give it a gentle squeeze and it will sink ,but you must remember to turn it every few days if it stays on the bottom .

ChiefWalksInSlips
25th Jan 2012, 09:59 AM
Any updates?!