PDA

View Full Version : Cherry eggs became green - will they hatch?

Annya
19th Dec 2005, 09:34 PM
Hello everybody,

This is my first question to this forum. I'm new to the shrimping hobby. I have a 20 litre tank with 8 cherries. One of them got pregnant. The eggs were initially orange, then they turned white-greenish and now are definitely greenish. Although it has been more than two weeks now, I can spot no eyes. Is there any chance they will hatch?

Another of my cherries got pregnant about a week later, but the eggs remained orange, got slightly bigger and I can clearly see the eyes (although the eggs are about one week younger). Does it mean the greenish eggs are dead? The female keeps carrying and ventilating them all the time. I heard that when the eggs are dead the shrimp gets rid of them. Is that correct?

Both shrimps are kept in the same tank, so water conditions are obviously not the problem.

When the eggs change the colour, does it mean there is something wrong with them? Could anyone please explain that to me? I have viewed a similar topic in this forum, but eventually there was no clear answer. I only learnt that white colour is definitely bad.

On a Polish shrimping website I found the info that according to different sources cherry eggs can be orange, green, or change the colour from orange to green in course of pregnancy. However, the author of the article claimed that her cherries had always orange eggs.

I'd also like to know when in the pregnancy the eyes appear? Is it like about the first week or just before hatching? I don't know when it is time to get concerned about the hatch.

Thanks in advance for any information

Annya

gr81
19th Dec 2005, 10:26 PM
eggs of my cherries also turns to greenish and they hatch normally. No prob.

Annya
19th Dec 2005, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not so worried now! :)

spinex
20th Dec 2005, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm not so worried now! :)

Welcome Annya :)

Yes you are right, if the eggs are dead, the shrimps would drop them and you can see dropped eggs inside your tank.