PDA

View Full Version : How to clean/sanitize new plants?

Akeath
25th Mar 2011, 05:17 AM
I'm wanting to add some more live plants to my future Red Cherry Shrimp aquarium. I want to sanitize them to make sure no bacteria, parasites, or other nasties hitch hike in with them.
What's a good way to do that while making sure it doesn't ruin them for a shrimp tank? Would it be safe to clean them in something like a potassium permanganate solution or Jungle Clear or Bleach? Which would be the best method? How exactly do I go about with the sanitization process, like diluting and duration of soaking etc.? Also, how would I make sure all of the solution was off of the plants so I wouldn't carry any chemicals into the shrimp tank that could hurt them?
I had a very bad experience with live plants bringing in tons of baddies before, so I want to make sure that never ever happens again. After I'm done with the sanitation process I'll also be quarantining them as I do a fishless (shrimpless) cycle.

NATuner
25th Mar 2011, 05:50 PM
Hi bro,

what I did for all my new plants:

I have a smaller 40l tank with filter etc always running to grow moss and also quarantine new plants. In this tank I will add Vermex according to it's instructions when I quarantine new plants. This way, any worms or parasites will be killed normally within a few days. I will observe the tank for worms for about a week prior to a final simple rinse and plant it into my main tank. In my 40l tank, there is also Yamato and a few Neon Teras. (sad to say) they are in there to ensure there are no residue pesticide from the new plants, as if there is and the amount is lethal, the Neon & Yamato will die...

With this method, I'm quite sure I won't be fooling around with breach or lethal chemicals and might accidentally not rinse clean properly causing instant poisoning or leaving behind residue to kill my main tank.

However, shall you insist on your method as your new tank is (fish/shrimpless) to rinse clean and cycle with lots of activated carbon for at least 2 weeks with 50-70% water change more frequently. Anyway the dilution of potassium permanganate is 1:1 or 2:1 to be effective. Do note that it is also very dependable on what type of plants as not all plants have good tolerance to it.

Hope this helps..

Mark
12th Apr 2011, 11:02 PM
I havnt tried it but apparently you can use bleach at Ratio 1 part bleach 20 parts water for 3 mins ,then rinse well in tape water then let it is sit in a bucket of dechlorinated tape water for a few hours .

P.P is spent after 4 hrs normally another way you can tell is the change in colour from that purplish colour to a brownish colour .

hibi
12th Jun 2011, 08:34 PM
I just wash my new plants with tap water.. check for worms, then plant them :)
I'm not telling you to to this and that the potassium thing would probably be best, but it works for me.

hibi
12th Jun 2011, 08:35 PM
hi mods,

sorry double post, please remove. thanks.