PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about eheim liberty filters?

Fento
21st Mar 2011, 06:39 PM
I'd like to know your experiences about using this filters, because I'm interested on them.
Do you think an Eheim liberty 2041 would be fine for a 60l (~16gal) tank?
Thank you on advance

lingistis
21st Mar 2011, 11:37 PM
I use the Eheim Liberty 2042 in a 45 lit. tank and highly recommend it over the smaller 2041 version. Use of a prefilter sponge at the intake is a must, and even then you may find small baby shrimps in the filter body. The pump output is adjustable via a control button so you can have the water flow you want. I have replaced some of the cartridges with Sera Siporax for extra biological filtration.

Fento
22nd Mar 2011, 12:14 AM
Thank you lingistis. Could you tell me if it's possible to replace just the inner material from the cartridge, or you have to take off the hole cartridge?

lingistis
22nd Mar 2011, 12:29 AM
At the flat green cartridges used for “biological” filtration you cannot take out the inner material, it is "fixed". You can only remove from the cartridge frames the blue mechanical sponge material. The 2042 has 4 cartridges. I left in place those beside the intake and removed the outer ones, which I replaced with siporax. At first I but in siporax loosely, but it took time to clean the filter… thus I put it in small net bags and its now much easier during maintenance. Last time I put in a extra net bag with siporax over the intake with no problem… its running this way for months and all is fine.

cls
22nd Mar 2011, 03:02 AM
I've been using the 2041 for months and I use filter media from both Eheim and Sera, the stuff that came with the filter. A great choice if you don't want to invest in an external filter.

sub-80
25th Dec 2012, 05:10 AM
I want to attach a filter guard on Eheim 2041 which am planning on buying. Am going to use the filter on my 60 liter tank. There are two sizes for the filter guard 13mm or 17mm which one do I need? am assuming its the 17mm but want to be sure. I also ask this question in this thread (http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php/10645-What-size-filter-guard-do-I-need-to-connect-to-an-Eheim-2041?highlight=eheim).