PDA

View Full Version : What soil is recommended?

cls
3rd Mar 2011, 07:03 AM
I was gonna do some changes to my tank. I was thinking of changing the gravel to something better, it's some ordinary gravel I'm using now. Would it be a good idea to use something that is similar to filter media as gravel? That is, something that is just as porous. It would be very expensive to use actual filter media. Or perhaps that wouldn't workout so good.
I've seen photos here on the site with many different types of gravel or soil.

XMX
3rd Mar 2011, 09:19 AM
I am currently using ADA AS1 and it's pretty good so far.

Cipher
3rd Mar 2011, 09:22 AM
I use soil which is ADA Amazonia II, its actually pretty good with shrimps as it buffers the ph down to 6.5-6.8? someone correct me with the ph levels. There are a few other alternatives such as GEX soil which i havn't used myself since its not available here in Australia and maybe up aqua soil is another cheaper alternative and probably easier since it does not create the ammonia spike the ADA Amazonia II creates.

zacks
3rd Mar 2011, 02:48 PM
i prefer advise you using soil.....it's magnificient........

i use with tap water from my house here's the info

Tap water :
TDS : 184ppm
PH : 7.4
GH : 7

after fill it and aeration for one day :
TDS : 123ppm
PH : 6,2
GH: 3

can you believe it ? just wait till the journal i will post in herelater........:D

and very clean not release brownish water,some of dust of soil in the top water......:p like the others that i have been trying before

Cipher
3rd Mar 2011, 03:01 PM
WoW, if only we have that here in australia, we are so limited to ADA and up aqua

zacks
3rd Mar 2011, 03:22 PM
WoW, if only we have that here in australia, we are so limited to ADA and up aqua

australia still better than indo :) u have up aqua soil there......here in indo only ADA and Nisso but nisso already out of stockfor a long time.....

last time got soil because my friend handcarry when abroad...........:)

great soil for shrimps i never thought that GH can maintain by that soil too..........can you believe it gh lower drop until 3.......it's been a good advantage we don't need to have using RO water again if using soil........lol

Abhishek
3rd Mar 2011, 03:49 PM
Hi Cls,
Buddy what kind of shrimps you are planning to keep?
I asked this because if you want to keep any shrimp except sulawesi, then best as per my experience is ADA Amazonia 2, and if you wanna keep sulawesi, then I suppose you had to use a mix of ada nile sand+ crushed coral.
Depending upon your requirement, there are various soils to be used :)

cls
3rd Mar 2011, 03:59 PM
I have some CRS and cherry shrimps right now, don't plan on acquiring any sulawesi shrimps anytime soon. Can't get hold of the ADA stuff so I'ii have to use something else. I guess it should be PH neutral at least. Most peple seem to use gravel and not sand, any reason? I thought a more porous would be good.

Abhishek
3rd Mar 2011, 04:33 PM
HI Cls following is the ADA distributor list of the world :)
http://www.adana.co.jp/en/distributor/

If not then heard about shirakura red bee sand will also work.I havent tried any other soil so cant comment about them. Used ADA only and it works great. For CRS along with ph, the water tds plays the most important part. So you have to take care about that also :)

No idea between the difference of gravel and sand ;) but where ever shrimps are happy will be the choice ;)

cllui
3rd Mar 2011, 05:20 PM
I'm fully agree with you Zacks...
I just order 50packs and will arrive end of this month...
Go !!!

zacks
4th Mar 2011, 02:02 AM
I'm fully agree with you Zacks...
I just order 50packs and will arrive end of this month...
Go !!!

don't forget it;s not just for the soils.....because they have super bee bacteria is good .........in 2 twodays aeration no3 is already beginning....the substrate already active and only 2 days i put beni strain shrimps into the tank......can you believe it?

well good you buy 50bag but don't forget to buy the main product of beni.

well i have some question can i pm you cilui :)

Frank
4th Mar 2011, 05:08 PM
I wonīt use active soil for Sulawesi shrimps because they prefer harder water.
In my tanks are different soils, coral sand and normal gravel.
No difference can be noticed concerning the offspring rate.
My tap water is very soft (kh 2, gh 3) and need to harden up. Soils donīt make sense for this situation.