PDA

View Full Version : Red Cherry babies

strategos
12th Feb 2011, 12:48 AM
I have a question regarding the baby Red Cherries. I've read that they will appear translucent at first and slowly gain their color. Just wondering how long before the coloration would approach that of the parents?

My baby shrimps have been swimming about for couple of weeks now, and are about half the size of the mature adults, but they are at best orange, with no tinge of red at all.

Just wondering if the red color will breed true, or it is the case where its selective (meaning only a small percentage of the RCS babies will actually turn out red)?

Remzy
12th Feb 2011, 01:53 AM
Do you have other shrimps in your tank? they could be hybrid if you have other compatible shrimps in the tank.

blacksheep998
12th Feb 2011, 01:56 AM
It depends on the quality of the parents. I have one good adult female RCS, fairly dark and solid red, but all my others are speckled or mottled at best and the males in my group aren't much better than the babies.

Clearly mine aren't from very good stock so I cant say for sure if this is usual for the breed, but my baby ones don't really color up until they're nearly full size.

If you want brighter colors and colored baby shrimp then look up taiwan fire red or painted fire red shrimp. They're heavily selected breeds from the original red cherries. I'm hoping to get some of them as well in the spring.

Remzy
12th Feb 2011, 03:02 AM
Random question regarding heavy selective breeding, could it make the shrimps more prone to genetical weakness if overdone?

blacksheep998
12th Feb 2011, 03:21 AM
If you keep culling the population down to very low levels and don't ever add any fresh genes to the mix then absolutely. Many of the new breeds like blue bolts and taiwan bees are having inbreeding problems. Far too many people start off with 2-3 of them and try to breed a colony.

Cherries though are pretty close to wild types. I've heard that the fire reds are a little less prolific than their unselected cousins, but so far I haven't come across any reports of health issues.

strategos
12th Feb 2011, 07:26 AM
It depends on the quality of the parents. I have one good adult female RCS, fairly dark and solid red, but all my others are speckled or mottled at best and the males in my group aren't much better than the babies.

Clearly mine aren't from very good stock so I cant say for sure if this is usual for the breed, but my baby ones don't really color up until they're nearly full size.

If you want brighter colors and colored baby shrimp then look up taiwan fire red or painted fire red shrimp. They're heavily selected breeds from the original red cherries. I'm hoping to get some of them as well in the spring.

thanks for the info! mine are mostly solid red. they are failry easy to get here in singapore, if you know where to look.

Was just wondering when they were going to color up. And no, there are no other breeds in the tank.

Fento
12th Feb 2011, 08:16 AM
I got some RCS babys, they're about 2 weeks old and they start to get coloured (ones more than others...). They're just ~3-4 mm long, but there are some with a reddish colour. Is hard to say when they'll get as coloured as adult ones, because from younger to elder RCS, they change their colour; it become more intense on time, so you can have some juveniles RCS with a red colour next to orange, and in a couple month they may get deep red or even garnet. Appart from that, a good ilumination, a dark substrate and a high-carotene, spinach or spiruline food, they have some influence on an early appearance of colour (and it'll be more intense sooner).

zane
12th Feb 2011, 08:59 AM
yea the more you feed them influences there color and make sure they get some light so they have calcium and what not. The color's on the shell so after the shed 7-8 times (takes 3-4 weeks) they will be almost sexually mature and have their color. First 2 weeks there's barely any color.

giddygid
12th Feb 2011, 11:17 PM
Just wondering -- are they safe to be kept with Cardinal tetras? I have seven Cardinals in my 2 ft. planted tank.

strategos
13th Feb 2011, 08:36 AM
i keep mine w some rasboras

koji™
16th Feb 2011, 08:28 AM
I bred some fire red and sakura in my tanks. Only a small portion will look very much like their parents. In singapore, I saw a lot of cherries been mis-lablled. Basically my advise is to look at the shrimp to determind what it is and not looking at the label on it. I have bought so-called sakura with colour development and feature of a fire red while I have seen fire red shrimps in shop which look very much like a sakura.