PDA

View Full Version : Cladophora

Fento
3rd Feb 2011, 08:06 PM
I see some of you have cladophora (also known as marimo or moss ball) in your tanks. Shrimps love it, but I have some questions about it's growing. Some friends of mine tried to do a cladophora aquascape. They splitted some balls and spread the rests on some stones to create a grass-like effect. Months later, they realize that cladophora had spread fine.... like a plague. Thiny threads of this algae just appaired everywhere (and tank's parameters were normal, low light to "control" marimo...) Marimo creates a nice "soft" effect, but when it grows this way, like filaments, it seems "dirty" (above all when it invades mosses and other plants). I've bought my clado months ago to check it's growing, but I've kept away from aquarium (I keep it in it's round form appart, into a glass... like jail lol ) and since October I could check how it spreads even on the glass and with no NO2 nor NO3.
Now my question is.... does anybody know how to keep cladophora overlaying some stone without releasing a plague?

shrimpsdotcoza
4th Feb 2011, 01:27 AM
nope, clado is the devil!

rather get mini pelia or some other moss to cover some stones to get that round green effect.

seetharam
4th Feb 2011, 02:05 AM
From what i understand the Marimo Ball is actually an algae from the same family of algae as Cladophora and the Marimo ball has a tendency to contain other forms of algae belonging to the Cladophora family mixed with it. Now the algae that comes with the ball causes the problem and not the ball itself, so there is a good chance that there will be a plague if the bad algae which comes along with the ball gets perfect growing conditions (hope this answers your main question).

Unfortunately Algae belonging to the Cladophora family prefer the same condition as your plants and hence almost impossible to get rid off. I have been able to control it by Manual removal and H202 treatment, But have never been able to get rid of it.

Fento
4th Feb 2011, 02:38 AM
I've heard something similar about your theory seetharam, it's also said that some species are invasive while others not, but it's hard to check even a true comertial name (every ball i've seen just came labelled as "cladophora" or "moss ball", despite the fact that it's an algae). This was just to check if someone knew a way to use this algae at aquascaping, because when I see some pictures of shrimp at a cladophora "field"..... I start drooling :D by now I'll be experimenting, but long away to my shrimparium... just in case.
Thanks for your answers.

retardo
4th Feb 2011, 09:26 AM
Cladophora and marimo balls are indeed from the same family as Ram pointed out, but they are not the same algae. I doubt that the clado was as a result of the marimo ball.

Fento
4th Feb 2011, 12:27 PM
I think Cladophora is a clorophyte algae genus, while marimo is a generic name atributted to those natural scapes where you can find cladophoras (naturaly formed in it's round shape) -please correct me if I'm wrong-. The most "commercial" cladophora is Cladophora aegragopila but there are lots of species which belong to this genus and with minimal differences, that's what makes them hard to identificate.