PDA

View Full Version : True or False 10,000K lamps?

gourmettea
31st Jan 2011, 10:55 AM
Is that temp lighting better for shrimps?

MananaP
31st Jan 2011, 03:41 PM
Is that temp lighting better for shrimps?

true! for CRS IME!

blacksheep998
1st Feb 2011, 05:37 AM
I use 6500K bulbs in all my tanks. 10,000K might be better, but my shrimp and plants all do fine under my lamps and they cost a fraction of what the 10,000K bulbs do.

alx
1st Feb 2011, 06:51 AM
It seems like it is a new trend to put 10.000k lamps to shrimp tanks and it may be a good reason for that as people using them are reporting better colours in shrimps among other positives.
But what about algae ? Is this spectrum of light maybe a trouble for those having algae issues and specifically in new tanks ?

Faber
1st Feb 2011, 08:36 AM
you'll get a nice color with this spectar,but i am using sylvania 10000K with sylvania Gro-lux.

RoryM
1st Feb 2011, 10:09 AM
10k bulbs are a bright white with a slight blue hue light which make everything really pop if you have enough bulbs above the tank. Fiji purple bulbs are great for CRS as this color of bulb brings out the red but does nothing for the white.
Don't be crazy and pay the high prices for these bulbs, go to your local electrical supplier and get the T5 bulbs. 48" 10k bulbs from LFS range from $42-$60 here where as I can pay $8 for the same thing at my electrical wholesaler.

MananaP
1st Feb 2011, 04:42 PM
It seems like it is a new trend to put 10.000k lamps to shrimp tanks and it may be a good reason for that as people using them are reporting better colours in shrimps among other positives.
But what about algae ? Is this spectrum of light maybe a trouble for those having algae issues and specifically in new tanks ?

This is not a new trend as i have been using this for at least a couple of years now, Japanese breeders with PLR and high grade crs with very thick solid white shells use even higher than 10k bulbs. Try to look at some Japanese bidding sites where they write their parameters and light spectrum on where the shrimps has grown...

gourmettea
1st Feb 2011, 11:58 PM
What is PLR?

seetharam
2nd Feb 2011, 12:59 AM
What is PLR?

I think he meant PRL (Pure Red Line) CRS

MananaP
2nd Feb 2011, 07:11 AM
I think he meant PRL (Pure Red Line) CRS

Thanks bro, yes it is pure red line or also called Japanese pure red line...

countcoco
2nd Feb 2011, 10:19 AM
I used an 18,000 K (Hagen Power Glo) bulb for a while and the colors looked great, but I removed it because it caused way too much algae.

MananaP
2nd Feb 2011, 06:01 PM
I used an 18,000 K (Hagen Power Glo) bulb for a while and the colors looked great, but I removed it because it caused way too much algae.

That is why there is a secret on mixing two different fixture and only turning on one fixture for 5-6 hours hehehehe *winks*....

countcoco
3rd Feb 2011, 09:49 AM
That is why there is a secret on mixing two different fixture and only turning on one fixture for 5-6 hours hehehehe *winks*....

Yeah, I considered doing that, but I don't have an extra timer and I'm too lazy to do it manually!!!

gourmettea
3rd Feb 2011, 09:52 AM
Does the higher temp lights result in a thicker harder shell? I think that I read that somewhere, but I can't find that thread again. I've read so many threads in my research....

MananaP
3rd Feb 2011, 11:22 AM
Does the higher temp lights result in a thicker harder shell? I think that I read that somewhere, but I can't find that thread again. I've read so many threads in my research....

There is a reason behind why top breeders in Japan and other countries use 10k or above lights...

seetharam
3rd Feb 2011, 12:20 PM
There is not much information out there with regards to this, But Pro Breeders do use higher K lights. I started using 14000K lights as i was not able to get my hands on 12000K lights. I must say it does make a small difference to the white on the shrimps. The concept behind it as i read somewhere is that the UV component in full spectrum lights causes the shrimp to develop a thicker exoskeleton to prevent the UV from harming the soft inside of the shrimp.

Having said that, you cannot expect to put these lights on a B or C Grade CRS and expect the white on the shrimp to get as good as a S grade. Genes play the primary role in the color of the CRS, Ligts, Food etc just add onto that.

gr81
4th Feb 2011, 12:32 AM
Interesting reading,
is there fluorescent tubes with 10k above? I found only HQI which is quite expensive and quite warm.
regarding to UV, I thought UV can not go through watter and is filtered by few cm of watter column....

seetharam
4th Feb 2011, 12:51 AM
is there fluorescent tubes with 10k above?

We get standard 4 Feet and 2 Feet T8 Tubes with 14000K rating. Was not able to get anything in 12000K or above 14000K. One reputed Japanese CRS Breeder uses bulbs that cost about 80 USD for a 30 Watts Bulb. But have not been successful in getting details of the make and light specifications. But im sure its something on the higher K rating and maybe special UV %

regarding to UV, I thought UV can not go through watter and is filtered by few cm of watter column....

This im not sure, Will probably have to read up now :)

MananaP
4th Feb 2011, 06:41 AM
We get standard 4 Feet and 2 Feet T8 Tubes with 14000K rating. Was not able to get anything in 12000K or above 14000K. One reputed Japanese CRS Breeder uses bulbs that cost about 80 USD for a 30 Watts Bulb. But have not been successful in getting details of the make and light specifications. But im sure its something on the higher K rating and maybe special UV %

This im not sure, Will probably have to read up now :)

Same thing with creating a painted fire red(concept) hehehehe... So many hidden secrets on shrimp keeping LOL...

Here is an example of one of the lights i use... ^__^

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo250/mananap888/DSC01050.jpg

salvatore
9th Mar 2011, 08:38 PM
have you ever tried half white and half blue neon?

Alfa Shrimps
9th Mar 2011, 11:39 PM
True, more than 6500K turn whiter or bluish to our eyes. White in crystal is more vibrant with 10000K lamps.
And less than 6500K turn redish for red shrimps.
Many times I choose some sakuras from my planted tank with 4500K light, I think they are deep red but when they are in common 6500 light they turn less red. Finally is the light that deceive my eyes.
Regards.

jiang604
10th Mar 2011, 11:53 PM
Same thing with creating a painted fire red(concept) hehehehe... So many hidden secrets on shrimp keeping LOL...

Here is an example of one of the lights i use... ^__^

http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo250/mananap888/DSC01050.jpg

uhhhh huhhh stephan