PDA

View Full Version : Details on Sakura, Sakura Fire Red, Taiwan Fire Red cherry shrimp

Harry Muscle
26th Jan 2011, 10:26 AM
I'm looking for any information that might help me see if a cherry shrimp would be a Sakura, Sakura Fire Red, or Taiwan Fire Red (I know it's not the Painted Fire Red which is the best of the best). I know these are all unofficial classifications, but is there any information available on how these unofficial classifications are more or less supposed to look like?

The only thing I know so far is apparently Taiwan Fire Reds have red legs while the other lower "grades" do not. Also Taiwan Fire Reds have red shrimplets instead of clear at first. But I would love to find more info about these "grades".

Thanks,
Harry

zane
30th Jan 2011, 11:29 PM
Hi Harry,
Sakura is just a deep coloring of the shell, it doesn't happen on the shrimplets, they grow into it. Sakura fire red just means that the shell is almost completely red while fire red is a lot of red on the shell but still not complete. Sakura shrimps are more than just red, you can have Sakura yellow, and recently Sakura orange and blue. As for Taiwans it seems you have them down pat. I do not know why the shrimplets are red at birth, I think that is very odd.

Sorry it took this long to respond I didn't notice the post.

blacksheep998
31st Jan 2011, 01:30 AM
I wish I had some of those, sounds like they blow my old red cherries out of the water. I'm trying to improve their color with some selective breeding, but even by best female is still transparent red.

zane
31st Jan 2011, 02:21 AM
yea I was trying that too. I'm pretty sure Sakura's were made through hybridizations or something like that

koji™
31st Jan 2011, 08:00 PM
I got this as sakura but some may say it's a Fire Red. Well, I have already gave up on what is what as long the colour is good and solid I'm happy.
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv64/panglongarowanas/62ec568c.jpg

zane
1st Feb 2011, 07:25 AM
again, koji your shrimp are breath taking haha

koji™
1st Feb 2011, 07:48 AM
again, koji your shrimp are breath taking haha

Thanks. Just an average shrimp.:)

TripleLexx
9th Feb 2011, 08:54 AM
I'm really getting confused now reading up on the high grade red shrimp, are all Sakuras Neocardinia Heteropoda? (a lot that I've seen are)
If so then you can infer the name Fire Red Cherry insinuates being a shrimp derived from RCS which is Neocaridina denticulata sinensis.

So are we talking about 2 species?

Thanks. Just an average shrimp. lol awesome

Fento
9th Feb 2011, 01:13 PM
theoretically , all of them are Neocaridina heteropoda (formerly known as N. denticulata sinensis). I think that some sakura are so selected that they have other apparience ,manifesting different size than red cherry and even different behaviour. That's why it induces you to think they are 2 different species (honestly, I'm not sure at all because appart from that, german-line sakura looks quite different from taiwan ones).

zane
10th Feb 2011, 09:28 PM
Yes Fento is exactly right, to get sakura shrimp i believe there were some hybrids along the way and this changed multiple characteristics. I'm still not sure about taiwan though, no idea how they were made

zacks
11th Feb 2011, 01:17 AM
I got this as sakura but some may say it's a Fire Red. Well, I have already gave up on what is what as long the colour is good and solid I'm happy.
http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv64/panglongarowanas/62ec568c.jpg

geez koji nice picture.........

btw can u describe ur cam and lens ?

i love it very much ur picture dude......:)

vai1296
28th Mar 2011, 10:01 PM
I recently got 30 or so RCS and after 2 weeks into my tank they had many babies. All of the babies are red and those things are soo tiny its hard to see besides just tiny red things floating around. Do i really have RCS or is it some other shrimp?

Fento
29th Mar 2011, 04:27 AM
if they are red just in 2 weeks, they already have good colour, they might be sakura, or at least red cherry with a good potential

vai1296
29th Mar 2011, 04:32 AM
Thing is, they were born clear and in just like 2 days they turned red...some of the older juvies i got from the seller are really bright red. I can't get a hold of the seller for details =/

Fento
29th Mar 2011, 04:49 AM
wow that's soon! I can't wait to see them grew. I think they'll be great RCS, sakura, or watever, congrats

OneStopAquatics
27th Nov 2012, 06:29 AM
I have what I think are6604 Painted Fire Red Shrimp and they are born red and as adults have no white spots on the body or legs. Mine are solid red and difficult to see a saddle or berried without looking very close. Any feedback would be appreciated since I sold a batch on ebay and the buyer left negative feedback 2 hours after they arrived saying I sent him low grade cherries. He said they rested for a couple hours and still didn't look like the shrimp in the photo and literally left negative feedback 2 hours after they arrived. No DOA. He threatened to flame me on all the forums if I didn't refund him while he keeps the shrimp. I took the negative feedback.

randyl
27th Nov 2012, 11:36 AM
For me, with non-red spots/area then it's a cherry, all red but you can see saddle/berry then sakura. Then it's fire red that you can't see saddle or berry easily. A fire red with 80% or more leg colour coverage I call it a PFR (painted fire red). That's just my way, I find it easier to get a common agreement on what the shrimp is with these rules. All above are for the female. Male can look a bit less but I have seen some male with the same quality as the best female lately.

To get higher quality you need to cull, and cull heavily for the first few generations.