PDA

View Full Version : New Cherry-Red mutation?

Shrimp-o
3rd Dec 2005, 03:20 PM
Hello, new forum member here just wanting to share with you my cherry red shrimp experiences.
Iíve been breeding these guys since March 2003 and like everyone else have found it very easy. I was getting worried about the genetic diversity of my population as they were all descended from a single egg-carrying female that I originally purchased. This prompted me last winter to purchase a dozen more cherry reds from my LFS to broaden the stock. It turns out that some of them apparently had wild genes in them as many of the offspring grew up to be either black, blue, or colorless. Iíve been letting this population run without selection since then to see what varieties I can come up with. About a month ago I spotted a very unique male shrimp that I have never seen before in my tanks or anyone elseís. It has a nearly opaque tail while all other Neocaridina denticulata tails are generally semi-transparent.
I hope this is a heritable trait and Iím now going to try and preserve/improve on this ďwhite tail shrimp.Ē Iíll keep you posted if Iím successful as the months go by. Any one here ever see this trait before?

simcb
3rd Dec 2005, 04:00 PM
Hi Shrimp-o,

If i didnt guess wrongly, its another kind of neocardina species. They can cross breeds with cherries.

Your special shrimp is a male, usually when they get older the brown/greenish stripes will show but like cherries the color is more obivous on the females.

Do u have other shrimps in the same tank?

alien07
3rd Dec 2005, 06:03 PM
Hmm. Very interesting bro..

Walter
3rd Dec 2005, 06:53 PM
Interesting looking indeed, although I can't identify them. :p

Shrimp-o
3rd Dec 2005, 07:24 PM
Do u have other shrimps in the same tank?

Just various morphs of the cherry-red shrimp.

silane
4th Dec 2005, 12:21 AM
shrimp-o,

I can't see obvious white tail, perhaps is due to photo. I do see exceptionally white body.

I ever seen a so-called crystal cherry shrimp before in a LFS, it is none other than a very red cherry shrimp with 4 white dots on the tail.

Robert
4th Dec 2005, 08:54 AM
Hi,
welcome to the forum!

For me this male is not a new mutation or color variety. He still shows the same coloration like normal males of Neocaridina denticulata sinensis var. but he seems to show a internal parasit, too. You can find something similar in wild Neocaridina palmata, they have white clumps in their abdomen. These are cysts of a parasitic worm. I think your male also has such cysts.

regards
Robert

imi_sky
4th Dec 2005, 09:21 AM
from my experience of shrimps with white bodies is that shortly after they usualy pass away, i think its them dying, this is shown in cherries, ghost shrimps, tigers..any shrimp that you can see through. but maybe that was just my shrimps..when they die, there body turns a white cloudy color. thats my experience with shrimp

zane
9th Sep 2011, 06:31 AM
Hi,
I know this thread's years old but just thought I'd reply since I know what these are. Your shrimp have a parasite commonly found in Neocaridina denticulata of Okayama lake. It only affects the colors of the males and is inherited by from the parents. I still think they are pretty cool looking and the varying size of the mass in different groups of related shrimps are fun and easy to study. In some shrimp this mass takes up mist if their body while others only have a miniscule amount.
Regards,
Zane