PDA

View Full Version : Fissidens Fontaus-Help Required

Abhishek
22nd Jan 2011, 03:15 AM
Hi All,
I recently got 3- 4*4 cm fissidens fontaus and they are currently in my crs tank.
I have experience with other kind of mosses but if you all could help me out in successfully keeping and growing fissidens then it would be great :)
I have heard they require soft water so my water parameters are
Hardness-120ppm, Ph- 6.2.

MananaP
22nd Jan 2011, 05:14 AM
Hi All,
I recently got 3- 4*4 cm fissidens fontaus and they are currently in my crs tank.
I have experience with other kind of mosses but if you all could help me out in successfully keeping and growing fissidens then it would be great :)
I have heard they require soft water so my water parameters are
Hardness-120ppm, Ph- 6.2.

What are your main concerns regarding this plant? If you just want them to grow then a sufficient light is enough and your water is good in my opinion as mine is growing well int he same water parameters. They grow better with high light and co2 but doesn't require to grow them, they will grow slower in a non injected co2 tank though.

Abhishek
22nd Jan 2011, 12:46 PM
Hi MananaP,
Sorry my light is 2.3 wpg but looking like its taking time more time than any other moss.

adrianng1996
22nd Jan 2011, 01:06 PM
all types of fissidens grow slow...its normal even in a high tech tank it cant grow as fast as mosses

seetharam
22nd Jan 2011, 03:15 PM
I agree, Fissedens is a slow grower, It will do well in a Soft Water Tank with low temperatures. So your tank is fine for it, Give it time.

MananaP
22nd Jan 2011, 03:57 PM
Hi MananaP,
Sorry my light is 2.3 wpg but looking like its taking time more time than any other moss.

Also they like to attached themselves on a rough rock or driftwood. They look very nice on a rock as they take the round form as they grow...

countcoco
22nd Jan 2011, 07:00 PM
As the others have noted, fissidens fontanus is an extremely slow growing moss. You should try to keep it clean of all debris and occasionally inspect for algae.

Abhishek
22nd Jan 2011, 08:05 PM
Thanks adrianng1996 , seetharam, MananaP, and countcoco for the valueable inputs, I suppose patience is the key.
One I hv tied to driftwood the remaining 2 i just kept in a moss mesh

retardo
23rd Jan 2011, 04:01 PM
IME, it seems to grow better when it's tied down to something, especially driftwood, where it can grab onto the wood fibers and grow along the branches. Rocks work, too, but it depends on how porous the rocks are.

Varez_6
21st Feb 2011, 06:20 AM
Hi,

I want to start a new tank for shrimps, i order fissidens fontanus... Thanks for the good tips, i will atach mine to driftwood...