PDA

View Full Version : Breeding low order shrimps

Nanami
23rd Mar 2005, 12:55 PM
hi,

i know shrimps are categorized by breeding through producing minature shrimplets or by shrimp larvae. though many articles have been written about the growth process and the breeding of the former,none that i've found is about breeding low order shrimps(other than yamatoes)

currently i'm trying to breed malayan shrimps which produce larvae shrimplets though some ppl have been saying that they've bred malayan in freshwater i think they'll have a better survival rate in brackish water. i also had my mosquito shrimps breed but could never manage to get the shrimp larvae to survive. :(

so my question is(for malayan and mosquito shrimps primarily)-how salty/brackish should the water be to ensure an optimal breeding environment for these low order shrimps? currently for my malayan larvae shrimplets i've added salt into the water which makes salinity of 1.004/1.006(inaccurate hydrometer) but still the larvae are still not surviving well. they seem to get lesser and lesser.

another question is-how long will it take for the larvae to post-larvae and the shrimps assuming a benthic lifestyle?what exactly is needed to nurture these shrimps? :confused:

hope to find more infomation about these low order shrimps :)

simcb
23rd Mar 2005, 01:02 PM
hi,

i know shrimps are categorized by breeding through producing minature shrimplets or by shrimp larvae. though many articles have been written about the growth process and the breeding of the former,none that i've found is about breeding low order shrimps(other than yamatoes)

currently i'm trying to breed malayan shrimps which produce larvae shrimplets though some ppl have been saying that they've bred malayan in freshwater i think they'll have a better survival rate in brackish water. i also had my mosquito shrimps breed but could never manage to get the shrimp larvae to survive. :(

so my question is(for malayan and mosquito shrimps primarily)-how salty/brackish should the water be to ensure an optimal breeding environment for these low order shrimps? currently for my malayan larvae shrimplets i've added salt into the water which makes salinity of 1.004/1.006(inaccurate hydrometer) but still the larvae are still not surviving well. they seem to get lesser and lesser.

another question is-how long will it take for the larvae to post-larvae and the shrimps assuming a benthic lifestyle?what exactly is needed to nurture these shrimps? :confused:

hope to find more infomation about these low order shrimps :)

Did you provide any green water or liquid food for them? They can die from starvation too.

Just a question to the rest:
If you grow moss ......in a tub u often see the water turns light green in color.....is it same as green water?

Nanami
23rd Mar 2005, 01:09 PM
Did you provide any green water or liquid food for them? They can die from starvation too.

Just a question to the rest:
If you grow moss ......in a tub u often see the water turns light green in color.....is it same as green water?

dear me! nope i didn't! :( will liquid fry be good enough? will try to cultivate green water asap. leaving a tub of sealed water under the sun will turn it into green water right?

for the moss water i think it's the reflection of the lights and the moss that makes the water looks green,if you take out the moss you'll find that the water is actually clear. green water looks dirty with a brownish tint. :)

damnit
23rd Mar 2005, 01:14 PM
Hi Nanami, glad to see you here too!!! :D Welcome to this humble forum and we would love for you to share your experience. I'm not too sure how to breed these shrimps but I tink these creatures are not low level creatures!!! These are wonderful shrimps IMO!!! :) :)

Nanami
23rd Mar 2005, 01:26 PM
Hi Nanami, glad to see you here too!!! :D Welcome to this humble forum and we would love for you to share your experience. I'm not too sure how to breed these shrimps but I tink these creatures are not low level creatures!!! These are wonderful shrimps IMO!!! :) :)

yo DAMNIT!! nice to see you here too :) been lurking sround for a while before deciding to join :)

Aiyah i don't mean low level shrimps ... it's low order shrimps which means these shrimps come out as larvae/free swimming then slowly develop to minature shrimps compared to high order shrimps(cherry,bees,tigers etc) which pop out from their mama already developed(mini shrimps) :) ;)

you also must share your experience also :) i know you're also a shrimp fanatic!! :) :D

silane
23rd Mar 2005, 04:18 PM
Nanami,

I ever seen a Malaya Shrimp Breeding setup:

- sponge filter
- rotten ketapong (sea almond) leaves

The water was milky, which I think is full of infusoria which the larva feed on. Moss has certain amount of infusoria.

Hope this helps.

Do you have pregnant female Yamato shrimp to lend me? :D I want to try to breed them. What type of salt did you use?

Nanami
23rd Mar 2005, 05:15 PM
Nanami,

I ever seen a Malaya Shrimp Breeding setup:

- sponge filter
- rotten ketapong (sea almond) leaves

The water was milky, which I think is full of infusoria which the larva feed on. Moss has certain amount of infusoria.

Hope this helps.

Do you have pregnant female Yamato shrimp to lend me? :D I want to try to breed them. What type of salt did you use?

hi thanks for your reply, but won't the rotten leaves have an ammonia problem for the shrimplets? but since it'll take time to cultivate green water i think this is also an alternative method :) will try this out :) thanks

sorry :( i don't have any yamatoes at all, they seemed rather aggressive and i think they'll terrorize my other shrimps in my shrimp tank haha :D used to have a few in my main tank though and one of them got pregnant with lots of eggs but due to unforseen circumstances that tank got polluted and they died.... surprisingly mosquito shrimps seems to be the hardiest of the lot :eek:

Pconnieae
23rd Mar 2005, 06:03 PM
Hi,

I have a friend that followed this method (http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm) to breed his Yamato shrimps. He used dry yeast and phytoplankton (Dunaliella salina) to feed the larvae. He succeeded in having a few young shrimps.

Confusekid
23rd Mar 2005, 06:03 PM
dear me! nope i didn't! :( will liquid fry be good enough? will try to cultivate green water asap. leaving a tub of sealed water under the sun will turn it into green water right?

for the moss water i think it's the reflection of the lights and the moss that makes the water looks green,if you take out the moss you'll find that the water is actually clear. green water looks dirty with a brownish tint. :)
For green water you need to put fert into the water as well. Teh water will turn into green water within 3 days.

To ensure higher survival rate, I think full strength salt water is needed.

You need to feed the larvae until they morp into shrimplet. After that slowly dilute the salt water back to fresh water (Mimic their life cycle).

Jack

Walter
23rd Mar 2005, 07:49 PM
so do u actually net out the larvaes into the grow up tank or the parents are still inside? they can take the brackish water at adult stage? :confused: just curious :)

Nanami
23rd Mar 2005, 09:01 PM
pconnieae: how do we get phytoplankton? i think i'll start off with yeast now while waiting for the green water and the sea almond leaves to rot :) we just have to put a small pinch of yeast into the water right? :) thanks

confusekid: thanks for reminding me :) almost forgot. do i need a lot of just a slight bit? i'm using lushgro. will be using soya bean curd tub and leaving lights on for the next 24hrs to get green water... but hmmm do i have to keep the lights on once i get the green water or will they stay green once they turn green? :confused:
for full strength salt water the salinity will be 1.023 right? do i gradually add salt till it;s full strength? i tried dumping the shrimp larvae into full strength saltwater once(the mama shrimp gave birth when i was acclimatising them when it was still in a tub) and all the larvae almost died immediately(none survived).the webmaster of the web page that pconnieae provided actually said it's ok to dump them straight into full strength salt water :confused:

walter: for this time i added salt to the shrimp tank when i realised that the shrimps gave birth and i see shrimps larvae floating about in the tank. the malayan and the mosquito shrimps seem to do rather well now. salinity is at 1.004 which is rather mildly brackish. i see pregnant malayan shrimps now... will be netting them up and putting them in a container for them to give birth and transferring the shrimp larvae into a grow out tank instead :)

mosquito shrimps seems to breed rather readily too so i might be trying them out too but not now :)

silane
23rd Mar 2005, 09:07 PM
hi thanks for your reply, but won't the rotten leaves have an ammonia problem for the shrimplets? but since it'll take time to cultivate green water i think this is also an alternative method :) will try this out :) thanks

sorry :( i don't have any yamatoes at all, they seemed rather aggressive and i think they'll terrorize my other shrimps in my shrimp tank haha :D used to have a few in my main tank though and one of them got pregnant with lots of eggs but due to unforseen circumstances that tank got polluted and they died.... surprisingly mosquito shrimps seems to be the hardiest of the lot :eek:

Those leave are pretty much rotten, not sure if it still give out ammonia. But rotten things promote the growth of infusoria.

Did you use table salt?

Nanami
23rd Mar 2005, 09:11 PM
Those leave are pretty much rotten, not sure if it still give out ammonia. But rotten things promote the growth of infusoria.

Did you use table salt?

i think i'll be using crushed leaves so it'll rot faster :)

nope i used aquarium salt(should i change to table salt? thought they have iodine which is not suitable? pls enlighten :))... thinking of switching to sea salt but it so much more expensive :eek:

silane
23rd Mar 2005, 09:18 PM
Table salt has iodine, iodine is toxic.

You should use sea salt, as my understand for seawater shrimps in freshwater ponds, they need ionic calcium and phosphor to develop properly. Aquarium salt does not has such ion, so sea salt is the best.

Pconnieae
23rd Mar 2005, 09:36 PM
Aquarium salt is better, don't use table salt because it contains iodine. You can also add a few drops of this product that contains ionic calcium:
http://caridina.japonica.online.fr/Im20002.jpg

I have friends that gradually increase the salinity and others that add the salt at one time. Some people breed their Yamato larvae with 17g/liter salt, others with 34g/liter salt (full strength saltwater) like in the link I gave. I don't know what is the best method. You have to try.

For the phytoplankton, I know a person who sell different kinds of live food. Dunaliella salina is a sea water phytoplankton often used in fish farms. If you use dry yeast, be careful not to feed too much because it can pollute the water quickly if it is not all eaten.

Confusekid
23rd Mar 2005, 10:16 PM
leave it in the sun, will turn green water faster.

As for the fert, just overdose. Most of the time green water can only last a few days. Usually people will use a few 1.5l bottle to perpare the green water. They will just rotate the bottle so that the supply will not be exhausted.

Nanami
23rd Mar 2005, 11:27 PM
fruitpie: thanks for your information :) will switch to sea salt then :) anything for the shrimps :wink:

Pconnieae: is this a product that's often used for marine setups? i'm not too sure if i can get it over here in Singapore but i'll try sourcing around for it :) does it have an expiry date? or does it last indefinately? was thinking of adding a tiny bit in addition to sea salt :o being a bit greedy here :cool:
i tried the 'dumping method' ie. dumping the larvae into full strength saltwater all at once, it didn't work for me so i guess i'll have to try out the gradual method. as for salinity i guess i'll have to work it out :)
i guess i'll stick to dry yeast,green water and rotten leaves for now... seems pretty hard to get the live foods here in Singapore. :confused:

confusekid: ok then i'll leave it in the sun during the daytime when i can and lights at night :) just wondering will dead algae(uneaten algae) pollute the water?

Pconnieae
24th Mar 2005, 12:14 AM
is this a product that's often used for marine setups? i'm not too sure if i can get it over here in Singapore but i'll try sourcing around for it does it have an expiry date? or does it last indefinately?

Yes, this product is normally used for marine setups. I don't know if it is available in Singapore, there may be other trademarks for the same kind of product. It has an expiry date. I bought some last year and the expiry date is 08/2008 :) .

Nanami
24th Mar 2005, 12:20 AM
Yes, this product is normally used for marine setups. I don't know if it is available in Singapore, there may be other trademarks for the same kind of product. It has an expiry date. I bought some last year and the expiry date is 08/2008 :) .

thanks for the prompt reply :) does adding it on top of sea salt cause any ill effect such as ion overdose? :confused:

Pconnieae
24th Mar 2005, 12:31 AM
It is only 5 drops per 10 liters in the larvae tank. I didn't notice any negative effects with that dosage.

Nanami
24th Mar 2005, 04:12 AM
It is only 5 drops per 10 liters in the larvae tank. I didn't notice any negative effects with that dosage.

okay!! you guys have been great help!! i'll go prepare my tank and will keep you guys posted :)

hmmm i have my tank and sponge filter ready :)