PDA

View Full Version : crayfish help...

GnarlySalamander
28th Dec 2010, 11:55 AM
I work in a pet store and today there was a crayfish that showed up with the shipment of feeder fish...

I took the little guy home with me, and now I don't know what the heck to do with him. A lot of people come in and ask for elodea to feed theirs, but since it was with the minnows I imagine it would be more of a meat eater? Another customer came in and said they fed theirs cat food... :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

He's just a little guy, and I don't know what type he'd be considered... doesn't look like anything special or unusual. I set him up with a few branches of elodea from my shrimp tank, and a bottom feeder tablet so hopefully one of those will keep him going until I can figure out more about him. [ok, that was a little bit of an exaggeration, I'm not worried he's going to starve to death by tomorrow]

Any advice or links to other threads would be appreciated.

doofie22
28th Dec 2010, 12:21 PM
I work in a pet store and today there was a crayfish that showed up with the shipment of feeder fish...

I took the little guy home with me, and now I don't know what the heck to do with him. A lot of people come in and ask for elodea to feed theirs, but since it was with the minnows I imagine it would be more of a meat eater? Another customer came in and said they fed theirs cat food... :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

He's just a little guy, and I don't know what type he'd be considered... doesn't look like anything special or unusual. I set him up with a few branches of elodea from my shrimp tank, and a bottom feeder tablet so hopefully one of those will keep him going until I can figure out more about him. [ok, that was a little bit of an exaggeration, I'm not worried he's going to starve to death by tomorrow]

Any advice or links to other threads would be appreciated.

i doubt these buggers will die... they practically eat everything... they ate my guppies, neon tetra, shrimps, moss, etc....i think the tablet will do fine. Any shrimp food works for them as well. Do you have a pic of it?

fyi, they're usually quite aggressive. Altot the dwarf mexican one can be a little milder considering their size

GnarlySalamander
28th Dec 2010, 12:56 PM
yeah, he's in a tank by himself.

here's a picture i took earlier... it was from my phone so it's not the clearest..
http://i52.tinypic.com/2udw7wo.jpg

any idea how big he'll get?

doofie22
28th Dec 2010, 01:11 PM
that looks like one of mine... i've the blue, orange, white and a red one, lol i can't remember their exact name

mine is about 3" now.. but i've seen one in the lfs that is about 6"!! lol

GnarlySalamander
28th Dec 2010, 01:42 PM
hm. 6 inches? i'm glad i only took one lol.

this guy is more on the yellow/orange side... the second one was more of a green/blue but the differences were pretty subtle

a white one sounds neat. is it more of just lack of pigment/clear or a solid white?

doofie22
28th Dec 2010, 01:46 PM
hm. 6 inches? i'm glad i only took one lol.

this guy is more on the yellow/orange side... the second one was more of a green/blue but the differences were pretty subtle

a white one sounds neat. is it more of just lack of pigment/clear or a solid white?

not too sure if u can see the link but i've the 3 crayfish as shown in that link. And the white is pretty much that colour.

http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/wildlife/crustaceans/articles/red-white-blue-crawfish.html

GnarlySalamander
28th Dec 2010, 01:52 PM
WOW those are some bright colors...

do you have any advice regarding caring for them? aside from the obvious clean water and proper food

doofie22
28th Dec 2010, 02:05 PM
actually if you're comparing them to CRS, these crayfish are like super easy to care for.. i've a tank which i've not done water change for like 3 weeks? The 4 of them are still surviving well in that tank. But give lots of hiding places for them. They like to hide a lot and are very aggressive, usually they're always missing 1 hand, because they're always fighting, lol and during molting they're the most sensitive, i've a few which died during molting, i suspect they can't fight back or escape properly when they're molting, lol

How big is your tank? Usually you can't keep a lot in a tank.

GnarlySalamander
28th Dec 2010, 02:10 PM
right now he's in a 5 gallon by himself, but it looks like we'll be upgrading if he gets to be 6 inches lol