PDA

View Full Version : fixing Moss on Mesh

gr81
26th Nov 2005, 07:17 PM
Hi, I build new shrimp tank. Back and sides are covered with mesh and glued to glass with silicon. (every 2x2cm dot of silicon). I want fix to this mesh Vesicularia dubyana to cover mesh. But I have problem how to do it. I thought I make it with needle and cotton, but when I tried bow a needle it brake.
Have you same suggestion how to fix moss to mesh which is already fixed to glass?
Thanx a lot.

Robert
26th Nov 2005, 08:31 PM
Hi,
try to use thin fishing line and use fine tweezers. It is a lot of work but it pays off later on. BTW, I would use Singapore moss or Weeping moss, both are thicker and grow more dense. In the end it looks better.
Monosolenium tenerum is also an alternative but it grows pretty fast. So you have to rescape it every second or third month. The moss walls should last about a half year, then it becomes to thick and the oldest fronds die.

regards
Robert

jojoecute
26th Nov 2005, 08:37 PM
Hi...

Is too challenging to tie mosses on the mesh that you had already silicon it on tank.

Normally i will fixed a rubber sucker on the mesh, lays all mosses on mesh and tie it then place it to the tank walls.

gr81
26th Nov 2005, 09:42 PM
Hi,
try to use thin fishing line and use fine tweezers. It is a lot of work but it pays off later on. BTW, I would use Singapore moss or Weeping moss, both are thicker and grow more dense. In the end it looks better.
Monosolenium tenerum is also an alternative but it grows pretty fast. So you have to rescape it every second or third month. The moss walls should last about a half year, then it becomes to thick and the oldest fronds die.

regards
Robert
I'm also not too happy to use Vesicularia dubyana as you write it is not much dense. Then I have also Monoselenium tennerum, but is not compact and decomposes to single "leaf". I have only a bit of it, so maybe it will grow up.
Other mosses aren't here available.

Maybe best should be leave mesh as is and wait to algae to grow.

NanoDave
21st Dec 2005, 05:49 AM
I'm also not too happy to use Vesicularia dubyana as you write it is not much dense. Then I have also Monoselenium tennerum, but is not compact and decomposes to single "leaf". I have only a bit of it, so maybe it will grow up.
Other mosses aren't here available.

Maybe best should be leave mesh as is and wait to algae to grow.

It wont be dense if you use the plucking method instead of the trimming method

gr81
21st Dec 2005, 02:40 PM
It wont be dense if you use the plucking method instead of the trimming method
I'm not sure understanding you. What's difference between that methods? I Use fingers and nails to moderate grow of mesh. How to make it denser?

shrimp
10th Feb 2006, 07:42 PM
I am a newbie is planted tank. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I recently started a planted tank and decided to build three moss wall at the sides and back of the tank.

Instead of using silicon, I attached the moss in between two plastic mesh and fasten them tightly together with cable tie so that the moss wont fall apart.

When I need to havest I only need to remove the cable tie and its quite convient. If I want to make the moss wall thicker then I will only need to open up the plastic mesh and squeeze the grown out moss in between them again.

Not sure it this cant help you. :-)

Frank
13th Feb 2006, 05:59 AM
Hi gr81,

A new friend in Singapure has a great page about moss. Thereīs also an instruction to create a moss wall.
www.aquamoss.net
Hope this will help!
Otherwise if you let the mesh fixed, you can simply put little mossballs in the holes. (I think thatīs what NanoDave already wanted to tell you)

shrimp
16th Feb 2006, 04:38 PM
Hi gr81,

A new friend in Singapure has a great page about moss. Thereīs also an instruction to create a moss wall.
www.aquamoss.net
Hope this will help!
Otherwise if you let the mesh fixed, you can simply put little mossballs in the holes. (I think thatīs what NanoDave already wanted to tell you)

Saw the article on the creation of moss wall. I am actually using a quite similar method as the writer - clamping the moss in between two mash.

I noticed that he is using a wired cable tie, the type where you need to manually twist it.

Think you can use the plastic cable tie instead as when I tried using the wired cable tie, it start to rust after some time. The rust may be bad for the water. :)

Frank
16th Feb 2006, 06:45 PM
I would use fishing line instead, but some time ago iīve read that rust is harmless to fish (so maybe also for shrimps).