PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Undergravel Filter

imke_j
4th Dec 2010, 12:21 AM
Hi,

lately heard the first time of reverse undergravel filter, where people hook the outflow of an canister to the UGF. The inlet of the canister filter is assured with a sponge to make it shrimp-safe.

Who does use such an set up, has longer experiences and can explain the pros and cons?

Thanks,
Imke

seetharam
4th Dec 2010, 04:48 AM
This is really interesting!

Where did you come across this type of setup Imke?

MananaP
4th Dec 2010, 05:29 AM
Hi,

lately heard the first time of reverse undergravel filter, where people hook the outflow of an canister to the UGF. The inlet of the canister filter is assured with a sponge to make it shrimp-safe.

Who does use such an set up, has longer experiences and can explain the pros and cons?

Thanks,
Imke

Heard this from a local breeder here way back last year bro, he said this is the new trend of setting up UGF as it cleans your substrate pretty good for healthy shrimps to graze on. I didn't really listen to all the details but i think he was mentioned using 1" pipes drilled with holes as the UGF, sorry i can't recall all what he said as i was not interested on the idea a year back LOL.

dxiong5
4th Dec 2010, 06:12 AM
So you are pumping water through the UGF/substrate? Will that disturb or push up the substrate particles, though I suppose you can adjust the outflow for that...

Heard this from a local breeder here way back last year bro...

And Imke is a lady ;)

imke_j
4th Dec 2010, 03:01 PM
From what I have read, the advantage of RUGF is not to clog the substrate as the filter outflow slackens the gravel and brings mud up. Shall work better with non-active soils (real gravel like lava, basalt). If you try google, you'll find more pages on this, check this one:
http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/rugf-dixon.html

MananaP
4th Dec 2010, 08:40 PM
From what I have read, the advantage of RUGF is not to clog the substrate as the filter outflow slackens the gravel and brings mud up. Shall work better with non-active soils (real gravel like lava, basalt). If you try google, you'll find more pages on this, check this one:
http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/rugf-dixon.html

Also i forgot to mention the breeder i talked to will be using this on a sulawesi tank with crushed corals as gravel which explain the whole thing.

countcoco
5th Dec 2010, 10:51 PM
I have just set up a new tank with a ugf and am converting an old tank to ugf + canister. I researched the reverse flow concept and ultimately decided against it, primarily because a standard ugf can easily be converted to a reverse flow during the water change. I also few like the reverse ugf would be a horrible idea in a tank with soil based substrate.

Xmant
6th Dec 2010, 11:37 PM
RUGF is quite popular for fish keeping in the recent years. I think it has resolved the clog problem and the waste trapped in the UGF.
Whether is it recommended for shrimp keeping, I am not sure. However, I believe that it should yield the same result.

matblack
3rd May 2011, 12:14 PM
Has anyone given this a go yet and if so is it a good system

Broddan
3rd May 2011, 05:11 PM
Hi!

I`ve used RUGF in my new Sulawesi setup for about 4 months now. I used pvc pipes and connections and build a grid and made small holes on the sides of the pipe. Im using a canisterfilter. But because the temp is pretty high i also have an air driven spongefilter because i wanted some movement of the surface to secure oxygen levels in the tank.
Its hard to tell how well it works but i think this i better for longtime use than UGF. Less clogging and less build up of goo in the substrate to other filtersystem. I belive i have to do less longtime maintenance.
I have a smaller tank with Caridina Dennerli and after about ten month the multiplication of shrimp stopped partly because natural generation shift and (my guess) a bottom to stuffed with debris. Then i set up this tank with RUGF. Now i have both tanks running with Caridina Dennerli (I vacum the substrate in the smaller tank properly) so maybe i can see difference over time between the tanks.

/Daniel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X87H_qF3Jkc