PDA

View Full Version : Just hatched Ghost Shrimp larvae!!!!

hadjici2
15th Nov 2005, 09:34 AM
They have just hatched ......

They are in my aged tank with lots of plants and some algae but the female has still alot of eggs under ger belly. i feed them liquified fry food.

1. Should I remove her now or wait untill all eggs have hatched? I feed her fish pellets to keep her happy and full.

2. I have some daphnia,should I put them in the tank with the larvae? Can they eat the daphnia or will the daphnia hurt them?

3. How long will it take for the larvae to take a benthic form?

PS: the kind of shrimp that I am talking about are Macrobrachium lanchesteri.

simcb
15th Nov 2005, 01:22 PM
For low order shrimp breeding you might want to reference this article.

http://www.shrimpnow.com/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&op=newarticle&id=42

Pconnieae
15th Nov 2005, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I have never bred Ghost shrimps but it seems to me that Ghost shrimps' larvae can grow up in complete freshwater, they don't need brackish water.

hadjici2
16th Nov 2005, 01:42 AM
Hi,

I have never bred Ghost shrimps but it seems to me that Ghost shrimps' larvae can grow up in complete freshwater, they don't need brackish water.

Yes they can. How long will it take them though to take a benthic form?

GunmetalBlue
17th Nov 2005, 01:17 PM
Hi Hadjici2, how are the larvae doing so far?

>"Should I remove her now or wait untill all eggs have hatched? I feed her fish pellets to keep her happy and full."

That would be up to you. You'll have to see how quickly she tries to eat them and also decide how many larvae you want. If she isn't eating very many larvae or at least not very fast due to your feeding her well, you can keep her in there until the bulk of the eggs have hatched.

Not really sure about daphnia, I've never worked with it. The larvae may be able to feed on newly hatched brine shrimp, finely crushed fish food, biological microfilm already present in the tank, etc. But be very careful about the feedings because the water can get fouled up easily. On one hand, you want to make sure they get enough food, but on the other hand, you may have to do small frequent water changes because of it. The bulk of your care will probably revolve around this problem.

I've read it takes several weeks for the larvae to take benthic form. I know that sounds a little vague but I would presume part of it would depend on how well they do and how much they are able to eat. They probably won't all morph at the same time, you'll probably have early birds as well as the stragglers that take longer to morph into shrimplets.

Unfortunately, I've not bred this shrimp so cannot speak from first hand experience. A lot of it will be up to you to observe how they're doing and try to make practical decisions along the way.

Hope they do well though and can survive to become shrimplets! :)

-GB