PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp eating shrimp?

dom
15th Nov 2005, 09:22 AM
I received a call from a member last nite. I told him I mixed my cherry, yamato, banana, tiger, hybrid, blue, green, red nose and CRS together. He keep saying the big shrimp will eat the smaller shrimp. Have you guys experience it before?

retardo
15th Nov 2005, 10:34 AM
Not very likely. The shrimp mix you have are all friendlies.

BlueEL
15th Nov 2005, 11:46 AM
Unless the smaller shrimp is sick then there's a good chance the bigger ones will eat it.

Different shrimps from different countries meeting in one big tank hehe, btw how big is your shrimp tank?

dom
15th Nov 2005, 12:33 PM
So far i never see my shrimp eating another other shrimp. They won't touch any dead shrimp too. (Unless that is ghost shrimp or clayfish.)

My tank is 2x2x1.5ft. I saw few times the shrimplet was trap in banana's "hand". And the banana just don't move or just shake the hand n let go the shrimplet.

Robert
15th Nov 2005, 07:01 PM
Hi Dominic,
the mentioned shrimps belong to the genus Caridina and Neocaridina and these shrimps are peaceful. Their claws are like little brushes, so they can't hold other shrimps with it. An exception is your "banana shrimp" which doesn't belong to this genuses. But it is also a peaceful species. So don't worry. The amano shrimps can be a a bit dominant and sometimes aggressive because of their size. I would observe them to gt to know their behaviour.

What you should not do is to mix them with Macrobrachium species because they are often carnivorous.

regards
Robert

nano
16th Nov 2005, 08:14 AM
So far i never see my shrimp eating another other shrimp. They won't touch any dead shrimp too. (Unless that is ghost shrimp or clayfish.)
i think they do eat dead shrimp ... but only when the dead fella a bit decomposed and the shell bit softer. my yamato and tiger normally do the 'clean-up' work.
another funny thing happen yesterday... 2 of my yamato releases it's larves and all my shrimp are chasing after them ... to grab a bites ... :p
the bottom line is i think they'll eat anything they can put in their mouth (even crushed snails).

dom
16th Nov 2005, 08:22 AM
Yes. Macrobrachium species (Clay/crawfish) is aggressive and meat eater. Personally saw one of them grab n eat the neon tetra life...

Nano, you didn't feed your shrimp well. As i know, well fed shrimp will not eat any dead. I have 3 tanks with shrimps. 1st tank is breeding tank and tons of shrimps inside. How many i feed and still not enough. Any dead will grab and clean by their own kind. 2nd and 3rd tank are with limited of shrimps. (Yes, I will take them out once it is overload) They are well feed by me everyday. Sometime you can see the dead inside the tank for 2-3 days and none of them will get close to it. Till i remove it manually.

nano
16th Nov 2005, 08:34 AM
dom, probably true. my tank shrimp population is increasing and lots of competition for food.

Veneer
16th Nov 2005, 09:57 AM
Yes. Macrobrachium species (Clay/crawfish) is aggressive and meat eater. Personally saw one of them grab n eat the neon tetra life...

Probably a corrupted version of "crayfish" (in English variously known as crawfish, lobsters, crawdads, mudbugs, carmels, yabbies, and spoondogs, depending on location). Macrobrachium are true shrimp and thus are not members of the Astacoidea (no representatives of which naturally occur in Southeast Asia).

Walter
21st Nov 2005, 12:15 PM
Yamatoes would eat dead shrimps though. And species like ghost shrimps that have a pair of pincers in front may attempt to hunt down smaller shrimps. So do take note. :)

k3nni
21st Dec 2005, 09:41 PM
hi ....actually i come across that my yamato eating my cherry.i have a 2 ft tank with a mixture of yamato and cherry ,the tank was full of agale few months ago ,so i have actually put 10 yamatos into the tank to clean up the hair algae,,though the algae was clear almost 70% .i continue the tank without feeding my shrimps .one fine day when i was happily looking at my shrimps i saw my yamato pounce on 1 cherry and then eating it alive . my conclusion is they do eat smaller shrimps when they are hungry .but if u feed them it should be a problem for them to live together :p

spinex
21st Dec 2005, 11:55 PM
hi ....actually i come across that my yamato eating my cherry.i have a 2 ft tank with a mixture of yamato and cherry ,the tank was full of agale few months ago ,so i have actually put 10 yamatos into the tank to clean up the hair algae,,though the algae was clear almost 70% .i continue the tank without feeding my shrimps .one fine day when i was happily looking at my shrimps i saw my yamato pounce on 1 cherry and then eating it alive . my conclusion is they do eat smaller shrimps when they are hungry .but if u feed them it should be a problem for them to live together :p

Hey K3nni ! Nice to see you here !

shrimp
10th Feb 2006, 07:33 PM
Dont think so...

I have a varity of shrimps in my tank... Amano, Tiger, Wood and bee in my 2 feet tank and they are all living peacefully with one another.

Though during feeding the larger shrimps especially the Amano is will chase the smaller shrimps away when contesting for food.