PDA

View Full Version : Care for baby shrimps

diki
14th Nov 2005, 11:01 AM
Went to an aquarium and got myself a bag of Malayan shrimps. Found that there are baby shrimps in the bag (found by my sis) and now poured the whole thing and shrimps (30+) into a 1 ft tank. No time to count as I seems to have left them in the bag for too long and they don't look so colourful (almost transparent) and also slight red (seems cooked red colour). Need to find out if there is any extra care I need to take note to let the small fellas grow up to be like their parents.

My 1 ft tank setup:
1 driftwood with java moss
loose form of java moss + algae :embarasse (no time to weed them)
1 sponge filter
lapis sand
Plastic mesh for cover

This tank has been cycled for at least 2 weeks. The shrimps looks ok in the tank. Found many baby shrimps on e side of the tank. Any special care that I need to take for them to grow? Please advise. Thanks. :)

eyal
15th Nov 2005, 01:15 AM
could i see how malayan shrimp looks like ? :shocked: :cool:

simcb
15th Nov 2005, 08:26 AM
Malayan shrimps(also known as rainbow shrimps) changes color with the color of the background and gravel. So when i say have black malayan ....guess the color of my gravel? :D

If its healthy dont worry about them with weird colors.

diki
15th Nov 2005, 08:46 AM
Got a stripe behind the fella. Quite cheap and few colours to choose from. (Brown, blue, green, transparent (glass/ghost shrimp??)) Can be a little big when grow up but smaller than Yamotos. Cannot find a correct pic to show u. Maybe try to get from my own collection when I have time.

dom
15th Nov 2005, 09:11 AM
In Malaysia, lfs called it Color Shrimp or rainbow shrimp. lol

retardo
15th Nov 2005, 09:21 AM
Malayan shrimps(also known as rainbow shrimps) changes color with the color of the background and gravel. So when i say have black malayan ....guess the color of my gravel? :D

If its healthy dont worry about them with weird colors.

I've always understood that Malayan and Rainbow shrimp are different, the difference being that Malayan shrimp are larger than Rainbows. Malayan can grow to 1" and Rainbows reaching similar size as Tigers, and juvenile Malayans look almost identical to a full-grown adult rainbow. Also, the egg sizes are different: Malayan eggs are like that of Amanos with a larval stage and Rainbows do not undergo the larval stage and hatch in benthic form. Am I wrong?

diki
15th Nov 2005, 11:33 AM
Anyone managed to breed malayan shrimplets? Heard that they are low order type and need salt water to live. Any advise? Thanks.

simcb
15th Nov 2005, 01:23 PM
how small is your baby shrimps? larve form to shrimplet form?

For low order breeding you may want to reference this article.

http://www.shrimpnow.com/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&op=newarticle&id=42

silane
15th Nov 2005, 02:30 PM
In Malaysia, lfs called it Color Shrimp or rainbow shrimp. lol

Anyone has the scientific name for Malayan/Rainbow Shrimps?

silane
15th Nov 2005, 02:44 PM
diki,

One or 2 hobbyits have unintentionary breed Malayan in their fresh water planted tank. The number is very small compare to a full brood size of a Malayan shrimp female. But I think the chance of trying to breed them in any large number in freshwater tank without paying attension to the water parameter is almost zero.

eyal,

Search the Gallery, there are pictures on Malayan shrimps.

diki
15th Nov 2005, 04:24 PM
how small is your baby shrimps? larve form to shrimplet form?

For low order breeding you may want to reference this article.

Very small. Can see their long body with bigger at the head. Drift/swim around so don't know they are alive or not. But can see quite a lot of them. In shrimplet form. Very cute. Even my wife sits there looking for them. Can see them under the light used to grow the moss.

diki
15th Nov 2005, 04:28 PM
diki,

One or 2 hobbyits have unintentionary breed Malayan in their fresh water planted tank. The number is very small compare to a full brood size of a Malayan shrimp female. But I think the chance of trying to breed them in any large number in freshwater tank without paying attension to the water parameter is almost zero.

Thanks for the info. Looks like they are gonners then. :shocked: :cry: Still will try my best to breed them. Need to get the liquid fry food from my sis. :D And I was telling my sis that if they grow up, will give her a few. :p Pray hard now.. Since they are very small shrimplet, will monitor them and see how.

If I add salt to the water, would it affect the adult shrimps?

simcb
16th Nov 2005, 08:49 AM
Adding salt will affect the adults and plants in your tank.

silane
19th Nov 2005, 12:45 AM
If I add salt to the water, would it affect the adult shrimps?

It will affect like Simcb said. Best is not to do anything, some babies may survive.

jojoecute
19th Nov 2005, 03:01 PM
Malayan shrimp gives birth to direct shrimplets ? Don't any how said ok, other people with many years keeping shrimps experience scold you..

Is just by luck, it was scoop out from the breeding tank and pack for sales..