PDA

View Full Version : What water conditioners are you using for your shrimp tanks?

simcb
14th Nov 2005, 08:54 AM
Just want to find out what are the commerical water conditioners are you using for your shrimp tanks? Especially there has been rumors going around, about increasing the chlormine in our tap waters(singapore).

I found an interesting review on some of the products to share but i am pretty wary of seachem prime as it makes the shrimps go crazy when ever i dose it in the aged water used for water change.

Seachem AM guard looks good...but after looking at the Seachem website we cant use it in singapore i guess? "If water temperature is above 30 °C (86 °F) do not use. . "
Weird clause.

I wonder how much of this is true...please review thanks.

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/rev-cond.htm

silane
14th Nov 2005, 09:37 AM
Simcb,

Have you use other brand of water conditioner? Do shrimps go crazy when you make water change?

I was using Seachem Prime, now using Genesis. BTW, they are 2 Country of Manufacturing as claimed by LFS, one is USA, one is Malaysia. The USA one has besige label, whereas Malaysia one is white. The printing of Malaysia made is not that sharp.

All those slime coat protector found in water conditioner which is for fish, is it good for shrimps? Or it works for shrimps?

simcb
14th Nov 2005, 11:52 AM
Simcb,

Have you use other brand of water conditioner? Do shrimps go crazy when you make water change?

All those slime coat protector found in water conditioner which is for fish, is it good for shrimps? Or it works for shrimps?

I am primarily using Nutrifin Aqua for removal or chlorine/cholrmine which is doing ok. But i believe it might not be as good with the new addition of more cholrmine to our tap waters. According to the website above, Nutrifin Aqua might not remove enough cholrmine in the water. Also there is this harmful free ammonium created in the process.

Thats why i am considering other options. I have tried seachem prime, so far it seems to cause my shrimps to go crazy for a while ....either i overdose or the recommended dosage is wrong.

I am not sure according to many users i know this slime coat thing seems to do more harm then good if overdose...causing fin clamps, choking up gills and etc. Not sure about its effect on shrimps. So called Aloe vera and herbal extracts slime coating provided by these conditioners might also contribute to an increase in organic waste which is actually not good.

Maybe genesis is a better option you reckon?

eyal
15th Nov 2005, 01:11 AM
I use aquatan ( sera) and tetra safe( tetra), both product remove clorine&cloramine and vitamin b is add in both !! :2thumbsup

simcb
15th Nov 2005, 08:29 AM
Hi eyal,
Do u use it for your shrimp tanks? What shrimps are you keeping btw?

eyal
16th Nov 2005, 05:43 AM
yes i use it for my shrimp tank , i have 4 amano shrimp& 10 RCS ( 7 female
+3 male) , it is extermly difficult getting special shrimp in my country

jojoecute
16th Nov 2005, 08:20 AM
I use Prime Seachem into my aged water container to be ready for water change & almost daily dose 1-2 drops direct into main tank.

So far no problem..

simcb
16th Nov 2005, 08:42 AM
I use Prime Seachem into my aged water container to be ready for water change & almost daily dose 1-2 drops direct into main tank.

So far no problem..

Hi Jojoecute,

I have stop using Nutrifn Aquaplus already for the last water change.

Currently switched back to Seachem Prime(wierd smell), its quite difficult to estimate the dozage required for my bucket ...because it doesnt say how many liters. I am guessing 1/3 of my tank liters(20Liters full bucket) 0.5ml of seachem prime? That very small amount can remove more cholrine and chlormine more than nutrifin very hard to believe so far i tested it looks ok for the shrimps. In fact some of the CRS, white bands are returning bright solid white although there is still a few of them with translucent white.

No3 going down, Ph dipped from 6.8 dont know why...to 6.4 and my tank water is cloudy after i dose seachem prime. I wonder what happend... Geoliquid didnt help in my case either.

jojoecute
16th Nov 2005, 08:57 AM
Using Seachem Prime will not dip PH..
May be cos by driftwood or some rotten plants reason.. (i guessing moss cause PH dip)

If i found dead shrimp in tank, i will dose some into tank for detoxicfies.

Hi Jojoecute,

I have stop using Nutrifn Aquaplus already for the last water change.

Currently switched back to Seachem Prime(wierd smell), its quite difficult to estimate the dozage required for my bucket ...because it doesnt say how many liters. I am guessing 1/3 of my tank liters(20Liters full bucket) 0.5ml of seachem prime? That very small amount can remove more cholrine and chlormine more than nutrifin very hard to believe so far i tested it looks ok for the shrimps. In fact some of the CRS, white bands are returning bright solid white although there is still a few of them with translucent white.

No3 going down, Ph dipped from 6.8 dont know why...to 6.4 and my tank water is cloudy after i dose seachem prime. I wonder what happend... Geoliquid didnt help in my case either.

retardo
16th Nov 2005, 09:06 AM
I currently use Amquel when I do WC's. It is effective in dechlor'ing the water. I may be buying an RO unit and then rebuffer with Seachem Equilibrium soon to make the changes in water less threatening for shrimp.

spinex
16th Nov 2005, 10:55 AM
I was also thinking of using RO water because i already got 1 at home for drinking water purpose.

What are the parameter i should measure from the RO water to make sure it's safe ? I only measured the PH before and it's slightly lower than what i get straight from my tap.

From my tap i usually get 7.2-7.4 range. After this RO. I get 7.0-7.2 range.

RO water + Seachem Equilibrium will provide a more stable water parameters in long run. Will run this test on my new shrimp tank to see the effect.

simcb
16th Nov 2005, 11:40 AM
Using Seachem Prime will not dip PH..
May be cos by driftwood or some rotten plants reason.. (i guessing moss cause PH dip)

If i found dead shrimp in tank, i will dose some into tank for detoxicfies.

Can tell me roughly how to estimate the Prime dosage for your aging container? Like how many mL:Liters or bucket :) ?

I am guessing there is ammonia or something in my tank causing the PH dip after Seachem prime detoxify some of the toxins. My shrimps have stopped dying after i have done many water changes like 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks. Tank water blur because its getting better? or gonna get worse?

I know Nuritfin is not doing a good job lately so i switching to seachem.

simcb
16th Nov 2005, 11:46 AM
I was also thinking of using RO water because i already got 1 at home for drinking water purpose.

What are the parameter i should measure from the RO water to make sure it's safe ? I only measured the PH before and it's slightly lower than what i get straight from my tap.

RO water + Seachem Equilibrium will provide a more stable water parameters in long run. Will run this test on my new shrimp tank to see the effect.

Ro water= expensive. Maybe small tanks, but is it an overkill for singapore water? Your new shrimp tank has Ada? So be ok.

My aged water with conditioners is 7.2-7.4 range before was 7.5-7.8 range off the tap.

silane
16th Nov 2005, 12:45 PM
Maybe genesis is a better option you reckon?

Hard to tell, I use Genesis because it is simple to use, just 1 drop to one gallon of tap water.

And I don't need the remove toxic and other features that some other de-cholorinator provides, with the price of Genesis, it does the basic and yet core task, I am happy with it.

jojoecute
16th Nov 2005, 10:04 PM
I judge as 1 drop per liters..
I used distilled water container (19lits) to keep aged water..
Your water become blur???? i think you over dose...
Try to measure your container volume..

Can tell me roughly how to estimate the Prime dosage for your aging container? Like how many mL:Liters or bucket :) ?

I am guessing there is ammonia or something in my tank causing the PH dip after Seachem prime detoxify some of the toxins. My shrimps have stopped dying after i have done many water changes like 2-3 times a week for 2 weeks. Tank water blur because its getting better? or gonna get worse?

I know Nuritfin is not doing a good job lately so i switching to seachem.

NanoDave
16th Nov 2005, 10:11 PM

pH is not important for RO water, they are all neutral 7.0 (if they have no chance to interact with anything else before you test it) and their kH is zero. The special thing about RO water is that if you just drop a tiny crystal of pH5 the whole water becomes pH5, if you drop a tiny crystal of pH 8 the whole water becomes pH8. This is why RO water is perfect for topping up water in tanks, because it will adapt to your tank's pH immediately. :)

spinex
16th Nov 2005, 11:59 PM
pH is not important for RO water, they are all neutral 7.0 (if they have no chance to interact with anything else before you test it) and their kH is zero. The special thing about RO water is that if you just drop a tiny crystal of pH5 the whole water becomes pH5, if you drop a tiny crystal of pH 8 the whole water becomes pH8. This is why RO water is perfect for topping up water in tanks, because it will adapt to your tank's pH immediately. :)

I read the the RO water for my house drinking water say remove many chemical ..etc. Also got state the membrane cell size ..etc. Sound good but dunno how true :p

spinex
17th Nov 2005, 12:06 AM
My RO filter on their website state this

purifies drinking water at an optimal water pressure with adopting state-of-the-art Reverse Osmosis Technology. It contains 6 stages of filtration, which have been scientifically proven to be capable of eliminating all contaminants, farm chemicals, heavy metals, bacteria, viruses and dissolved chemicals to produce drinking water of 99.99% purity. The bio-ceramic is notable for its ability to release far-infrared rays, which revitalises water molecules for better utilisation by our body

Water Purification System continues to pave the way with its incredibly powerful membrane. With the aperture’s diameter size of 0.0001 micron (500,000 times thinner than a strand of hair), the Bio Pure R.O. membrane effectively filters away all contaminants in drinking water, including dissolved heavy metals, farm chemicals, radioactive substance, bacteria, germs and filterable viruses.

I will start top up with his RO water and see any better starting from tomorrow.

silane
17th Nov 2005, 12:11 AM
spinex,

How much water can the RO unit filter?

retardo
17th Nov 2005, 01:13 AM
spinex,

what brand is the RO unit? thanks.

-rk

NanoDave
17th Nov 2005, 02:42 AM
My RO filter on their website state this

purifies drinking water at an optimal water pressure with adopting state-of-the-art Reverse Osmosis Technology. It contains 6 stages of filtration, which have been scientifically proven to be capable of eliminating all contaminants, farm chemicals, heavy metals, bacteria, viruses and dissolved chemicals to produce drinking water of 99.99% purity. The bio-ceramic is notable for its ability to release far-infrared rays, which revitalises water molecules for better utilisation by our body

Water Purification System continues to pave the way with its incredibly powerful membrane. With the aperture’s diameter size of 0.0001 micron (500,000 times thinner than a strand of hair), the Bio Pure R.O. membrane effectively filters away all contaminants in drinking water, including dissolved heavy metals, farm chemicals, radioactive substance, bacteria, germs and filterable viruses.

I will start top up with his RO water and see any better starting from tomorrow.

Not sure about all the claims but from what I know it can indeed filter alway almost all contaminents including chlorine and bacteria. It is perfect as top up water but be careful if you use it for large water change, because you will be dropping the water hardness in your tank (the extent depends on how much water you change) when you replace your tank water with this zero hardness water.

:)

spinex
17th Nov 2005, 09:03 AM
spinex,

How much water can the RO unit filter?

To fill up my daily 1.5 litre bottle it took about 2-3 mins. Closer to 2 mins is my guess. I will go back and time when i do the fill up on my bottle. But the water that gone through the RO is warm because it also use electricity for the infra to heat the ceramic in the filter. So i also have to leave it overnight to be at room temperature.

Retardo,

This RO is local brand and it was bought by my parents for drinking water purposes not sure it's good for aquarium use or not.