PDA

View Full Version : Hydra

NanoDave
10th Nov 2005, 11:56 PM
How deadly is hydra, are they a major threat to shrimplets? :)

retardo
11th Nov 2005, 12:32 AM
Hydra have arms that can grab babies who may not be strong enough to break free. I'd eradicate any hydra you may have in your tanks.

NanoDave
11th Nov 2005, 12:35 AM
But my shrimplets are just a few days old and they look like they can drop dead any second.. any attempts to eradicate the hydras will probably eradicate them first... :p

Any tips to get rid of them safely? Will crushing them work or will they multiply upon subdivision like planeria? :)

retardo
11th Nov 2005, 02:05 AM
Shooting Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) directly at hydra with a syringe is an effective method of getting rid of them. There should be no adverse effects on flora or fauna.

Hydra reproduce by growing a new polyp out of the side of an existing one (like growing a second head out of your neck), which then detaches itself from the parent and floats to find a space to attach for itself.

I'd do a search for Hydra in this forum. There are other recommendations for getting rid of them that I have personally not tried.

NanoDave
11th Nov 2005, 02:27 AM
Thanks retardo. I'll try to find some H2O2 tomorrow. :)

By the way has anyone ever seen a hydra overcome a shrimplet successfully? Just curious.. I'll try to eradicate them either way..

simcb
11th Nov 2005, 08:18 AM
If the hydra is big enough it will capture and eat a very young shrimplet. Most of the time, it just stuns and kills them i guess. H2o2 works only on direct application so use a dropper or syringe to inject would be better.

dom
11th Nov 2005, 08:42 AM
So far i nvr experience the hydra inside my tank kill the shrimplet. what i saw is the shrimplet will just jump away when they get close to hydra or before the hydra trap them down.

Another thing is...i saw my ramhorn snail eating the hydra. :D

NanoDave
11th Nov 2005, 11:51 AM
If the hydra is big enough it will capture and eat a very young shrimplet. Most of the time, it just stuns and kills them i guess. H2o2 works only on direct application so use a dropper or syringe to inject would be better.

Any idea where to get H2O2 in Sg? :)

NanoDave
11th Nov 2005, 11:58 AM
So far i nvr experience the hydra inside my tank kill the shrimplet. what i saw is the shrimplet will just jump away when they get close to hydra or before the hydra trap them down.

That's what I thought.. hydra don't look fast and strong enough to be able to catch a shrimplet.. :p

retardo
11th Nov 2005, 03:51 PM
still better to get rid of them than sorry... lol

nano
11th Nov 2005, 04:08 PM

are hydras part of those mini puffers diet?

NanoDave
11th Nov 2005, 04:16 PM
still better to get rid of them than sorry... lol

Yea lol

NanoDave
11th Nov 2005, 04:16 PM
are hydras part of those mini puffers diet?

don't think so.. but heard shrimplets are.. :)

nano
11th Nov 2005, 05:19 PM
look at the last line of this link. did it says yamato shrimp as amano for pest control ...?

http://www.vectrapoint.com/main/manual/bm37.html

never mind... tonight i will tried out and update you guys ... :joking:

NanoDave
11th Nov 2005, 10:27 PM
tonight i will tried out and update you guys ... :joking:

Yes please!! :D