PDA

View Full Version : Cambarellus Diminutus

sypher
25th Oct 2010, 03:28 AM
Hi guys,
i've read these are even smaller than CPO, could someone tell me the max lenght that they reach ?
Would they be safe to put into a 30L tank with RedCherries? Will they kill the babies?

I would really really like a cambarellus type, and it seems this race is the smallest one ...

Anyone could give me infoes on where to get them? In italy i searched a little bit but found nothing.

H1R013
17th Dec 2010, 03:05 AM
Hi sypher,

I have kept them once. They are a little smaller than CPO. But i bought it much later than the CPO's therefore that will explain the difference in size.
I however do not encourage you to mix them with red cherries as crayfish are territorial. I did kept them with yamato shrimps once.
They would chase the shrimps but are unsuccessful in chasing them.

Philderodez
5th Feb 2011, 04:39 AM
Little smaller than CPO ? not even half CPO size ! smaller than an adult Red Cherry. Never seen one chasing a shrimp, but not sure they do not eat babies.

Philderodez
5th Feb 2011, 04:40 AM
i add that they are more shy than other common species like texanus

spypet
20th Mar 2011, 10:49 AM
I'm considering putting a sexed pair of c.diminutus(3cm,USA) in the same tank as a sexed pair of c.patzcuarensis(5cm,Mexico) assuming they don't fight with each other, is the fact that these two species are of different adult size and different country of origin mean they are unlikely to inter breed with each other? or is the danger of mixed bred hybrids a potential problem with most cambarellus.

Philderodez
22nd Mar 2011, 12:39 AM
.Not sure it's a good idea : Big ones 'll probably eat tiny.

Fento
23rd Mar 2011, 05:54 AM
Don't mix them! diminutus are peacefull, but not patzcuarensis. It's better to keep them separated

spypet
29th Mar 2011, 02:17 AM
I finally got my CPO and c.Dim from Germany, and I was wise to keep them in separate tanks because they have very different personalities. The CPO are bold and adventurous and spend a lot of time patrolling the tank bottom and anything they can climb on. The c.Dim spend all their time lurking in the shadows, under the hard scape and cover of plants - and move suddenly toward or away when approached by the shrimp they share their tank with. I may try putting CPO and c.Dim together eventually, but for now I'm concerned this personality divergence may inspire conflict I don't want to have at least until the females show berries. I'm hoping in time the c.Dim will become more adventurous, but for now they are as boring a tank occupant as my micro crabs. of course I'm not keeping them to entertain me - I hope they will be comfortable enough to breed - even if I don't get to observe most of it.

Trail_Mix
8th Jun 2011, 02:44 PM
How are they doing now?

NewJohn
29th Jun 2011, 06:42 AM
I have kept them in the past, 4 years ago.
And I could not believe how small they were, but their eggs are not.
If I remember correctly, they only carried 8-10 eggs.

They were very shy and seldom ventured far from their burrow " Small inverted clay pot "
When the female was berried, she would close off the entrance to her burrow by moving gravel .

They were the only Crayfish in the tank along with a colony of Crystal Red Shrimp.