PDA

View Full Version : Newbi Q: Are plants really necessary in a breeder tank?

J-P
24th Oct 2010, 05:36 AM
I have a 20 gal breeder tank for my Cherry reds. There is a prig of Java moss in there an old media sock and a couple rocks.

Basically it is very plain Jane. The shrimp are doing fine and breeding nicely, but I was wondering if there was a real over all benefit to having a "planted tank" vs a tank with a few plants.

Any thoughts? :bs_quesex

Shrimpnairf
24th Oct 2010, 06:59 AM
The one thing you should consider is how big your colony will get, cause bacteria will reproduce and breakdown the shrimp waste into plant food. when this happens you will get an algae bloom, you will need to do more frequent water changes to aviod this. fast growin plants offer best stability and offer good places to hide for shrimplets. you dont need a lot of plants just the correct balance of plants. - -- shrimpnairf

J-P
24th Oct 2010, 08:22 AM
thank you! very cool to know! Actually the shrimp are breeding for my puffer snacks... so the colony remains fairly stable.

I think I just may add some more plants to help with the fry.

imke_j
24th Oct 2010, 01:23 PM
Hi, plants are not absolutely necessary, but they are useful for nitrification and reduce nitrate. Besides, they give structure and hiding places to your tank and shrimp can use the height of it also. Moss is always a recommended feeding place for juveniles.

beijing08
24th Oct 2010, 06:36 PM
Definitely recommend adding some floating plants to suck up the Nitrate. Hornwort works well.
Also just some more moss for the micro-organisms to colonize.

babisfloros
26th Oct 2010, 03:58 PM
Hi guys!
I wanted to remind that beyond being a nitrates filter and offering a hiding place
a big plant surface in the tank can also serve as bacterial growth surface.
Mosses are less demanding than stem plants and thus a lesser light period is needed
consequently you have less algae issues.
best of luck

J-P
2nd Nov 2010, 09:21 AM
babisfloros: you're talking the total surface area that beneficial bacteria can grow on?

luckyboi
3rd Jan 2011, 01:24 AM
Adding to the topic: If we are to add plant does it help with the PH as well?

MananaP
3rd Jan 2011, 04:41 AM
Adding to the topic: If we are to add plant does it help with the PH as well?

Plants in a shrimp tank has no connection with the tank PH whatsoever.

luckyboi
3rd Jan 2011, 04:56 AM
Thanks chief!