PDA

View Full Version : Dividing a tank with plexi glass?

LittleMulligan
17th Oct 2010, 02:07 AM
Hello everyone. I'm Judy, a newly retired registered nurse. (Love that word, 'retired'. ;) ) I'm new to keeping shrimp & have totally fallen in love with these little guys. I've had RCS (very sucessfully) for 6 months & any and all knowledge of these shrimp have come from articles and forums here online...thought it was time to thank you for all your help. I have 5 tanks, a 10G with RCS, a 40G with Long Fin Albino Bristlenose Plecos, a 40G with Metriaclima Magunga Deep, a 20G with Multifasciatus shelldwellers & a 55G with 2 huge Goldfish that I'm trying to find a good home for. This tank I wanted to set up for a species tank of Tropheus...but here's my 1st question on this forum. I was thinking of putting 2 plexiglass dividers in this tank and setting each of the 3 areas up for 3 different species of shrimp, yellow, Cardinal and maybe Sakura Red Cherries. Do you think this is a workable plan or should I just get 3 more small tanks? Thanks for all your help...now & previously. :kiss:

Frank
17th Oct 2010, 05:28 AM
Welcome here.
I used plexi glass for some filters. Itīs also possible to didvide a tank this way.
http://www.shrimpnow.com/forums/showthread.php/5159-My-new-rack-with-DIY-Filter

LittleMulligan
17th Oct 2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks Frank...you have a truly wonderful set up (but way out of my league to accomplish...so far, lol). And thanks for the welcome.

Scorpio
17th Oct 2010, 07:11 PM
Firstly, would the different areas have the same water flowing between them, or would they be individual areas that aren't connected? If they're going to be connected you'd have to make sure the shrimp can survive in the same parameters, and seeing as one of your potential choices is the Cardinal shrimp, the parameters would be quite extreme. If not, then there's no difference between dividing a large tank to having small aquaria.

I feel I should add that you might be better off keeping a less delicate shrimp than the Cardinal shrimp. The jump from Cherry shrimp to Cardinal shrimp is comparable to keeping a Guppy or Goldfish and moving directly onto Discus. I'd recommend working your way up with Red Bees [Crystal Reds], Black Bees [Crystal Blacks] and other intermediate Caridina species to avoid disaster. Neocaridina species are generally much hardier and more prolific than Caridina species, so have a go with more forgiving species. Sakura shrimp are a good step up from Cherries, so good choice. I'm sure members on this forum would gladly recommend different beautiful species that are easier to keep.